Another New Guy Intro

uhuru

Hello, a brief introduction:

I'm new to the hobby and have a CADlights 5 gallon nano-reef tank on the way. I used to have a mini-reef when I was much younger but strayed away from the hobby during my teenage and young adult years, so some stuff come back to me when I read about it but a lot of stuff I don't think I understood too well back then anyways. I'm currently a student at OSU and am pretty much fascinated with anything that has to do with biology, chemistry, physiology, etc...

So my all-in-one tank already comes with built in mini-fuge, and T5/actinic lightning. I'm not sure the best place to shop at this time to get live rock/sand, but it looks like the place in Albany is closest for me. As far as other necessary equipment to get started, I'd appreciate any tips. I already have a digital salinity meter. I plan to get an extra bucket and pump to keep mixed saltwater on hand and maybe an ATO since evaporation can have such a big impact on such a small tank (thoughts??).

Thanks for the welcomes guys. With my limited space (and experience) I'm going to stick with (edit: LPS) and some shrimp (gotta have the sexy shrimp), maybe an emerald crab??, and a couple of other cleaners. I want to get a book with "cool pictures and stuff" to get a better idea of what's out there. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

What test kits do I need? I'm thinking:

PH probe

ammonia/nitrite/nitrate test kit

I've seen strontium, calcium, alkalinity test mentioned here and there, but I'm not sure if it's necessary...

Also is a skimmer necessary for a tank this size? Or would I be fine with just the live rock and sand in the tank and fuge? I plan to add some macroaglae as well.

I'd definitely go with a skimmer regardless. And welcome!

Might want to consider a shallow sand bed just for aesthetics, and avoid some of the maintenance issues and longterm problems with deep sand beds (DSB's).

Welcome!!

I would pick up a nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, alk, calcium and pH test kit. A pH probe will run you more $$ so thats really up to you. You don't need a skimmer, just maintain regular weekly WCs. A hang on back fuge would be useful though.

You also need to get a camera cuz we all like pics!!! (laugh)

I like using the cheap combo set for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and ph and get the salifert kits as you can afford (alk, cal, mag), with the combo kit costing $25 its a good starting point, if you have nitrate nitrite or am you should be getting rid of it regarless of how much and I find them pretty accurate, the PH sucks though. I never can tell what color the thing reads.

Uhuru' date=' welcome and where you located, Corvallis?[/quote']

Yup. I'm from So. Cal. Moved up here last year to attend OSU. I'm a post-bacc though (originally graduated from UCI), planning to apply to vet school in the fall.

CCR - thanks, I'll get the Salifert test kits. How often should I be testing my water once I start adding the critters?

impur - the tank comes with a little overflow compartment in the back but I don't think the capacity is all that great. It comes with bio-balls which I plan to replace with live stuff. I have room to add a seperate fuge on a shelf above or below the tank but the thought of an overflow accident sort of scares me. This is in a carpeted room btw. If anyone knows a way to make it fail safe I might attempt it.

A hang on back fuge would be useful though.

Well I just bought a CPR small hang on back fuge from some guy on one of the reef forums. More than 50% off from new so I figured I should jump on it. Should I fill this with a DSB or just LR and chaeto?

Thanks!

Personally, I would go with just live rock and chaeto. I can't imagine to could make a DSB big enough in a hang-on back fuge to make a large impact on nitrates. With a tank that small, water changes should be enough to control nitrates. But that's just my opinion.