sch 80 unions, where to get them...

reefgeek84

Parkrose Hardware' date=' right across the street from Saltwater Fantaseas -- great selection of plumbing parts, plus a locally-owned business.[/quote']

Good call! I hate those huge chain stores. Lowes and HD just went in down in Roseburg, luckily my parents ACE hardware is still doing good. My mom jokes that they might have to RAISE their prices to be competitive (laugh)

Good call! I hate those huge chain stores. Lowes and HD just went in down in Roseburg' date=' luckily my parents ACE hardware is still doing good. My mom jokes that they might have to RAISE their prices to be competitive (laugh)[/quote']

I agree! Those big chains tend to not have very good costumer service... I would rather pay a higher price just to get better service.

Ahh good point Joel. I think the threads will match up, they did on a few other guys skimmers over at RC on the octopus skimmer mods thread. But you will have to grind out the inside of a 2" union (i think that was the size) to get it to fit onto the skimmer.

Brandon if this is for your Skimmer I hate to tell you but I think the union is metric. I really doubt you'll find a metric sch 80 union in town.

You will probably need the same brand too or the threads may be different.

Your right Joel...I went to united and they had nothing...so I have to make some more phone calls tomorrow...almost 3 weeks without a skimmer...Let this be a lesson to those who attempt DIY and are unsure of what they are doing (nono)

If you can i would take the collection cup around with you. See if it screws onto a normal union. I'm pretty sure its just where the pipe goes into the union that is going to be off, and you can just grind it out a bit to get it to fit. PVC glue is a great thing when used with primer, it will close any gaps if you grind too much in a couple areas.

stuff2005312edit.jpg

Here is what he said:

it turns out that a standard SCH 80 2"union will thread right onto the male metric union on the body. Unfortunately it did not work the other way so I had to take the union off of the collection cup and glue a standard union on. that 2"union with just little bit of grinding fit perfectly. I did remove all of that flange inside the new unions so that there weren't as many places for the foam to break on.

If you can i would take the collection cup around with you. See if it screws onto a normal union. I'm pretty sure its just where the pipe goes into the union that is going to be off, and you can just grind it out a bit to get it to fit. PVC glue is a great thing when used with primer, it will close any gaps if you grind too much in a couple areas.

stuff2005312edit.jpg

Here is what he said:

it turns out that a standard SCH 80 2"union will thread right onto the male metric union on the body. Unfortunately it did not work the other way so I had to take the union off of the collection cup and glue a standard union on. that 2"union with just little bit of grinding fit perfectly. I did remove all of that flange inside the new unions so that there weren't as many places for the foam to break on.

it is not my collection cup, it is the union on the skimmer body that runs into the inlet of the pump...