Rinsing mysis?

J-Dog

Does anyone know how I would go about rising my frozen mysis shrimp before feeding? I am trying to cover all of my bases, with this diatom outbreak, but wasn't sure how to do the mysis. I usually just cut a chunk off, thaw it in some tank water, then pour it back into my tank. If there is a better way, please let me know....thanks (nutty)

I like the tea strainer!, I had not strained my food in the past so I decided to give it a try. I have some of the Blue filter pad from my old tank (use socks now) so I cut a 2" square, thaw the food in tank water/shot glass then pour it thru the pad, rinse under the tap and then dip the pad in the tank, works great also

MVP, it shouldn't rust as long as you take proper care of it, such as making sure it is completely dry after you use it, and before you dry it, make sure to rinse it really well with boiling hot water, you should be fine.

I agree...easiest..wouldn't the tea thing rust?

+1. I shy away from anything metal! :)

BTW, why do you need to rinse the brine shrimp. I just take them out and thaw them in a cup using tank water and off it goes in the tank! I have Never rinsed the food. Just curious!

Why wash all the stuff away that your sps's could try and catch for food.

I don't see the need If you have a good skimmer or cleaning system.

My thought has allways been (dirty the water up with food for everyone and then get it cleaned up befor it goes bad).

Not that I am the best at this. But thats my thought

My thought has allways been (dirty the water up with food for everyone and then get it cleaned up befor it goes bad).

Try testing the the frozen food for phosphates - you might be surprised at what you find.

+1 Again!

I have had my new set-up tank for about 3 months (and had one before this for 3 yr) and I feed a tons of food. I have never had the phosphate problem. Also, Saltfin is right in terms of additional small stuff that comes with these frozen mysis is good for filterfeeders and sps.

And yes I do like to feed my tank very very generously without the fear of phosphates, nitrates or nitrite. A simple analogy would be would you starve your dog or cat just because it poos a lot :) . Cleanup/waste management is the key to address this issue. I would rather put more efforts in the later. But then this just my humble opinion :)

I'm just trying to figure out what's causing my diatoms. I have to start eliminating certain things to see what the culprit is. If no one thinks that rinsing mysis would help, then I won't do it.

I'm just trying to figure out what's causing my diatoms. I have to start eliminating certain things to see what the culprit is. If no one thinks that rinsing mysis would help' date=' then I won't do it.[/quote']

Rising the food will help if the food contains elevated levels of phosphates. Diatoms are a natural part of a new tank and can pop-up in a mature tank with elevated levels of nitrates and phosphates (ie overfeeding). Phosphates can also find their way into your tank through the water - are you using an RODI source or something else?

I'd rinse the food and feed something more specific to the livestock you are concerned about neglecting with what is rinsed off - like target feeding a specific filter feeder formula.

Here's a simple experiment someone did about the level of free phosphates in frozen food:

http://www.thesaltybox.com/forum/chemistry/83227-should-you-wash-your-frozen-food-remove-phosphates-guide.html

Archived