Tank is recovering-LOTS of pics.

drock59

After a stressful period my tank looking terrible, it is finally on the mend.

A few simple shots from tonight mixed with what it used to look like.

DSCF5998.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

DSCF0045.jpg

DSCF0069.jpg

Before:

DSCF5945.jpg

After:

DSCF0016-1.jpg

Before:

DSCF5919.jpg

After:

DSCF0024-1.jpg

Before:

DSCF5937.jpg

After:

DSCF0070.jpg

Before:

DSCF5918.jpg

After:

DSCF0020.jpg

Before:

DSCF5946.jpg

After:DSCF0036-1.jpg

DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0040.jpg

All my montis died except one and everything else lost a lot of color....very sad but on the road to recovery.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The die off was pretty specific to the montis. However, I lost a lot of color in and polyp extension in a variety of other corals.

At this point I am blaming the incident on a couple of factors.

1. I changed my light and may not have cut the photoperiod enough.

2. My magnesium was a bit low which may have thrown off my calc and alk.

3. For some reason my alk skyrocketed from 8.3dKh to about 11dk in a matter of a day and a half.

I think these three things combined devastated my corals. Overall, it appears I have totally lost only about three digitas. The monti caps are nearly dead but could still recovery, its too early to tell.

Some more pics for anyone interested.

The only monti that made it unscathed through the ordeal:

DSCF0301.jpg

Random:

DSCF0303.jpg

DSCF0314.jpg

DSCF0319.jpg

Bad close up of the GSP:

DSCF0321.jpg

a. Valida? Anyway, it turned all nasty but is finally coming back with its beautiful color. You can kind of see the purple and green polyps.

DSCF0328.jpg

DSCF0331.jpg

DSCF0333.jpg

Dan I think that Monti you posted a photo of did better than the others because I dont think its a monti. It looks more like a Seriatopora to me' date=', Seriatopora guttatus I think?[/quote']

No, looking that up it is a birdnest type of coral. I have the same piece, it came from reefermandness and they can not name it, they call it a monti-millipora. So I have not idea what it is, but a very cool coral.

i know Seriatopora guttatus is a birdsnest, but you cant tell what the growth structure is yet on that coral, unless its going to just encrust like it is now only.

monti-millipora doesnt exist, so thats a pretty inaccurate name.

at any rate, it doesnt look like a monti to me, oh well though, at least it made it through the stress!

i know Seriatopora guttatus is a birdsnest, but you cant tell what the growth structure is yet on that coral, unless its going to just encrust like it is now only.

monti-millipora doesnt exist, so thats a pretty inaccurate name.

at any rate, it doesnt look like a monti to me, oh well though, at least it made it through the stress!

I know what you mean...my point was simply, that reefer never gave it a name and usually they come up with something whether the names are correct or not...and your right monti-milli does not exist. I guess it looks like it is starting to branch...I would love to get an accurate ID on it, so I have an idea of what it needs.

does yours look the same or does it have some branches?

mine is much smaller, but looks the same as the encrusting base...polyps are identical in color and shape, I had it up to high, so the skeleton bleached on me, so I am hoping it will make a come back, since moving it lower. but when I got it the skeleton was the same color as well.