Trying LED lighting again

moovinfast

So I decided to try LED lighting as my only lighting again. This time over my main tank. I saw THIS thread on Nano-Reef and people were getting good results from pre-made GU10 3x1w Led bulbs. Its going to be much easier to do than my last 3w cree build for my 20" cube. All I will have to do is wire all the sockets together in parallel and plug it into the wall. Just ordered 60 bulbs. Half cool white and half blue. All 4x1w GU10 bulbs. Was going to try 3 rows of 20 over my 240 cube. Should make for a good power savings. I read somewhere that the bulbs I'm going to try draw about 3.5w each. I did the numbers and figured out my running costs here in Longview

Current Light set up:

4x250w DE MH

4x110 VHO

$16.50 a month

$198 a year

Led lighting:

30x 4x1w Cool white

30x 4x1w Blues

$2.47 a month

$29.64 a year

This should pay for its self in a little over a year and a half. Bulbs should last for about 50k plus hours at about 7-8 hours a day. Should only have to replace bulbs every 6ish years. Cost wise a set up will run about $5-7 a bulb for the 4x1w right now or $3.5-6 for the 3x1w. Might find cheaper if you look around.

So you have a rough idea what they look like. This is the 3x1w that previous people have used

cool.jpg

Subsrcibed

I have spent countless hours the last 2 weeks reading, researching etc..

I am also going LED, I plan to build a small 6x18 or24 fixture ( I think) and try it out on my frag tank then move it to my main-the DIY thread made my head hurt when they started discussing electronic volts, current etc-I know I was reading english, I just had no idea what they were saying-LOL

Heatsinkusa for the siink and found some nice 3 watt bulbs with 40 degree optics (again I think)-Crees are 10.00 + so I found some knock off that I am sure I will get what I pay for but they are 2.20 each-I'm not using glue so I can swap them out-its the whole solder part I want to get more familiar with-Dont want to cook/fry the LED

Your thread says trying LED again, what was the 1st attempt?

Correct. Last LED build

Well DANG-Whay you did nearly a year and a half ago I am looking to do know-What was the outcome, why the new build, how are the old ones, did you like the results, do you have SPS, would you do it again, would you recommend them for a SPS tank

Shall I continue-LOL

Seriously though those are the heat sinks I am going with maybe a little longer but the same 8.5, maybe the 5.75, the 10+ got spending on shippping I am thinking of doing a 2 to 1 ratio blue to white, but they also have violet, green and red so I'm still reasearching them (those colors).

dang I searched and never even saw that thread- I'll post all the Q's to that that thread to not clutter this more than I have already

I have 16 AI SOL Blue LED lights over my reef tank and love the colors it has produced and everything seems very happy. I have some Acro pieces showing great growth. I was skeptical at first but became a believer after lots of research myself and finally seeing them in person. The temperature in my lighting area dropped by 15-20 degrees! I figured they will pay for themselves after about 3-1/2 years.

I had a little bit of everything in the tank to try it out. SPS, LPS, Softies, RBTA, etc. Everything did ok, but I was getting better growth and color in my 72 gallon bowfront with just 2x250 DE MH 20k fixures. Both tanks were on the same sump. Ended up selling my fixture and replacing it with a 250w MH. But now with the larger tank I think its worth trying again. I liked the color using 1 to 1 white to blue. Plus this new lighting I'm going to try is going to cost about the same as my previous build for the 20" cube tank, but this will cover a 4' cube tank.

LEDs just showed up today. Now I'm just waiting for the sockets to get here.

Sweet :D My 50w spotlight will be finished up later tonight. Gonna par test it tomorrow and do some side by sides with some halides for color comparisons.

We should get all of LED setups together and get numbers put up for all of them :D

Sweet :D My 50w spotlight will be finished up later tonight. Gonna par test it tomorrow and do some side by sides with some halides for color comparisons.

We should get all of LED setups together and get numbers put up for all of them :D

That would be really cool!!!!

Love your avatar BTW (laugh)

I agree on posting the readings, very interested on how you like them and interested as well in pics!

I just ordered a DIY Kit myself-should be here early next week

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

also curious about this...I've been thinking to do an LED system to replace my T8s on the 55. I'm thinking 20 total (of the 4x3w, 30 if 3x3w), 1:1 W:B. what brand did you get? i looked on a site or two and only see the three varieties of white and multicolor...none with 3 blues

Sorry, haven't been on the site in a while. The lighting is still doing great. My anemones and my softies are loving the light. My SPS was fine under it too while I had them. But I got something in my tank and lost all of my SPS. Dont know what it was but it acted like the same thing that killed Roys stuff. White spot in the middle and then dead in the next day or two. I can try to take some update pics once I feel up to.

I got my LEDs from LED-HK on ebay. They sell the 4x1 cool whites and the 4x1 Blues also. Thats what I'm running.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived