Might be time for a strategic break

JasonH

I've been working down in Corvallis during the week for the past year. In that time, my tank has nose-dived. It's just too hard to keep up on the tank when I'm only home for a couple days and trying to spend time with the family.

Tonight, I got home to a tank that was overflowing because the overflow was blocked up. That might be the last draw. Fortunately, it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been, probably only a few gallons - but that's a lot of water to have to deal with after getting home for the weekend.

Like I said, I just can't keep the corals in good shape. I've lost a ton of corals that were in great shape a year ago - really down to a few quality corals left. And they are all browned or starting to go downhill. I think it's time to take a break until I can be home full time and start up a (much) larger tank.

I'm not 100%. I'm going to sleep on it, and make a decision tomorrow. One of he downsides of my schedule is that I either have to get everything back together or get rid of stuff by the end of the weekend.

If I do decide to shut it down (for now), I'm not going to be selling anything. I'll be looking for someone to take my corals, and give me back frags of each when I start back up. A pretty good deal, I think. As such, this wouldn't be a first-come thing, or someone that has just started a tank and might end up losing at all (I can do that).

I still have some nice corals, such as Original Tyree Watermelon (large), BGM, massive Tyree sunset monti, full colony of BOP birdnest (not in good shape), the no-kidding original Superman monti (straight from Tubbs/Bruddah), and a small frag of the real 20K lokani. Oh, and a really nice rainbow acan. The Superman monti is the exception, I want the whole rock back, but of course it can be fragged (too hard to find the original superman anymore).

Oh, and many red yuma (would only ask for 1 or 2 back) and many green polyp toadstools.

Like I said, nothing is in good shape and much of it is downright brown. All of it is plagued with hair algae (another gift of not being here). But the stuff I have all goes back to original sources and will look beautiful in a better maintained tank. At least I can say I have no pests.

Also have a mated pair of Oc. clowns (laid many eggs) - the person can keep those. And a ton of little stuff (all my hermits are the fancy electric blue), chocolate chip star (make sure to put that in the sump).

I expect it to be 12-18 months until I'm prepared to start up another tank. And another 4-6 months until I'm ready for SPS.

Anyway, like I said. Not sure. Will decide tomorrow. Right now just very tired. Sorry for the long post. Please let me know if anyone is interested. Part of my decision is having someone I trust to keep the corals okay and get frags back to me.

Let me know if you need things held... I have "babysat" a couple of tanks (one crashing and another one from someone moving into the area from Texas). I have plenty of room in my tank and have a pretty stable system... I also have many of those corals myself so there is a backup if anything goes wrong.

Thanks for the kind words and offers everyone. In the cold light of day, this still seems like a reasonable decision. Maintaining a tank while spending the week away is just too daunting right now. And I'll probably end up upgrading faster if I'm not fretting about keeping up my current tank.

I'll be responding to people after I get back from the dentist.

Archived