Anemones???

dsoz

How many people have kept an anemone alive for long periods (1 year? 5 years? more???) I have heard that most anemones do not survive the first few months in a fish tank. I was wondering if there is a difference if the tank was set up as a reef with the high intensity lighting.

Because many anemones die within the first months of being put in a tank I was considering not getting one at all, and am still leaning towards not get one for at least the first year of setting up a tank. But my wife was disappointed that I was not planning on getting an anemone. I told her that clowns would sometimes host in some corals (hammer, bubble, frogspawn) and I would try one of those types of coral when the tank is established.

I would feel horrible if I was to buy a wild anemone where they have a lifespan of 100 years or so, and then only be able to keep it for 2 months before it dies.

I also know that there are some that have been able to "split" their anemones... whether this is through intentionally cutting or natural budding/splitting. How common is this? How likely is it that I would be able to get one of these "tank raised" anemones? How likely is it that I could do this myself? (is this an area of research that can be accomplished by people in a group like this? Is this a PhD in biology level question? Anyone looking for a thesis?)

(peace)

It greatly depends on your tank, I have two anemones that I have kept for a year, they are both at least quadruple their size now, good light and most people will argue but I contest good flow is a must. If you have that and can keep your SPS away (well them from walking) they will thrive. My clowns host a Sebae and I have another bubble tip style that decided to loose its bubble and turn into a monster growing from a 2" coral to about a 7" coral right now (thats the base). They get big if they are happy, and dirty tanks within reason do well also, they need lots of light to feed off their zooxanthellae.

It also depends on the species... From my experience, seabaes seem to be fairly hardy and easy to keep...then bubble tips are up there of the easier ones to keep...If you want to try one, keep an eye out at your local fish store and if you see one, ask how long they have had it, if they tell you they have had it for a while, you should be ok...and get a seabae, you should not have a problem...

I have been keeping bubble tip anemones for 2 years now. Mine have split numerous times. We started out with 2 bubble tips and at one time we had 8 in our tank. I have given away several, taken some to the LFS for trade, and have one in my sump right now. I think I have 4 in the main display currently. Mine are just a brown bubble tip. Not a cool green or a nice rose.

As for a clown hosting in them. My clown prefers either my colt or my frogspawn. Even when one of the anemones was very close to the colt, my clownfish didn't take a second glance.

And I know I will probably get flamed for this one.... I never feed my anemones.

Jay

I have had an green bubble tip anemone for almost two years now. It has been very healthy. It was a bit difficult when I first got it. It kept moving around the tank. It ended up in my overflow, got stuck on the closed loop intake. Finally it found a permanent home in a hole in the rock and has stayed there ever since. I have not fed him in probably 6 months. Just provide him with plenty of light.

I have rose bubble tips and a green bubble tip that i've had for over a year. the RBTA has split a few times as has the green. My green has never moved (except for his splits) and didn't split until i aimed a powerhead at him in attempt to get him move. He split twice over the course of the next few days. My reds move a bit more and split every few months, but I think its a feeding thing. I think they'd split more if I fed more. I wish I could remember the thread but I read on the reef tank of a guy who could consistently reproduce splitting in his anemones with a regimen of feeding followed by a large water change. I think he fed two to four times a week for a few weeks and then did a 20ish percent water change and induced splitting consistently in over 70% of his anemones. Check out some pictures of steve weast's tank (oregonreef.com i think for old pics, search this site for new ones). He started with a rose bta or two and now has a garden!

This site http://www.karensroseanemones.com/ is an excellent anemone resource in my opinion. I have yet to prove her wrong.

I love my anemones, sometimes they upset me with the occasional coral burn or whatever. would definitaly be sweet to have an anemone only tank. or an anemone mostly tank

I'm sure you can find a tank raised. I think upscales has them occasionally. I'll have one for sale if my recent rose split ever comes out from hiding. Have fun!

Josh

Rose anem is your best choice plus theres alot of local access to tank raised i personaly would stay away from a sebae there one of the harder anemones to keep instead go with a long tentcale if you want a sand bed varity(Macrodactyla doreensis) but make sure you have enough light to reach bottom if you go with this type otherwise go with a bubble tip.

Rose anem is your best choice plus theres alot of local access to tank raised i personaly would stay away from a sebae there one of the harder anemones to keep instead go with a long tentcale if you want a sand bed varity(Macrodactyla doreensis) but make sure you have enough light to reach bottom if you go with this type otherwise go with a bubble tip.

My step dad has had a seabae under compacts for years...From my experience, they are one of the easiest to keep...

I've kept anemone's my entire length i have been in the hobby, they are a big reason i got into this hobby and i have spent countless hours reading and learning about them lol. Currently i have a Merten's sea anemone, and a h. crispa. I have had the merten's a few months, since late Dec, and the crispa going on three years. Up until about a month ago i had kept a Magnifica anemone for 5 yrs but my water got tweaked by something and i lost it unfortunately.

On the topic of sebae's--h. crispa, i would definitely disagree on the level of difficulty some have stated. They generally come in bleached because they don't ship well. These ones require real stable water parameters and frequent feedings because they don't have zooanthellae to provide them with food from the light. Regaining that can be quite a challenge and that's why they are difficult to keep imo. If you find a healthy one that's not bleached out and have high light and medium-high flow they are relatively easy to keep. Still not easy to keep as a e. quadricolor(bta). Which will except any decent amount of lighting and no real preference to flow.

Also it should be mentioned that not all host anemone's split in captivity, or in nature afaik. Only bta's and very rarely magnifica's have been none to split. Long tentacle's, Crispa's, Haddoni, and anything else less common have not been known to split in captivity.

fwiw

austin