tank gurgling

tanktop74

HI all....

I know this has been discussed many times before.... the new frag tank I set up this week has and external overflow with one 1 1/2 inches pipe that goes to the sump.

My problem is I have some tank gurgling, not the total toilet bowl flushing, although I did have that for a while, but made a few adjustments and it has improved.

My question is what is the safest standpipe when you only have 1 pipe in the overflow?

I have done the herby (?? it think thats what is called) overflow before but I don't feel that would be the safest way to go since I don't have a back up standpipe...

So think amongst yourselves, I am off to school for the night, will check on this tomorrow!

Thank you!!

Beth

ps I think Kim is working on the tank thread pics, maybe she can post a few of the overflow for me later so y'all know what I am talking about!

External overflows pipes will produce some noise. Internal overflows of the same kind do benefit of the surrounding water acting as a silencer.

A single overflow pipe it is always risky compared to one with backup. I think that an external durso will do well and it is the most used in this kind of applications.

Pics would help to be sure we are talking about the same thing :)

Also, set up the pipe that goes to the sump so it is not straight facing down. About 45 degrees will help. Remember the inclined plane from school? Water will go faster that way ;)

I have only 1 drain on my cube and i use a durso. I found that if you increase the size of the pipe before it exits thru the bulkhead it really helps with the noise. My bulkheads are 1", so i used 1.25" PVC for all the durso parts that go in the overflow, then used a reducing bushing right before the bulkhead.

I just saw the pics. So it is an external overflow box, not an external overflow.

Do you already have an hole in it? If it is in the middle you could close that one and drill 2 on the left and right of it. Then do an herbie with backup.

Something like this:

1037d1127535433-herbie3rivers-1959-original-herbie-love-bug-herbie2.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like the drain is on the left side of the box. I would put another one on the right side as a backup regardless of the type used. (Tanks with only one drain scare me)

I don't understand why i keep reading posts that say a one hole overflow is scary. I have been running an overflow box for over 2 years and never even had a slight bit of backup of water. I also run a small foam that distributes the water around the hole just enough to where i only hear it at night when everything is dead silent in the house.

I agree with Alex and Rick.

Drill another hole for a secondary drain.

My cube tank O/F is the same as yours but has 2 B/H's. 1 is the main line with a 1" strainer standpipe. I use a gate valve to tune it just like a herbie. The secondary standpipe is just a 1" pvc pipe about an inch above the strainer. It never sees water. No burps, gurgles or anything.

I can only hear the water traveling through the pipe to the sump.

Nice tank BTW!

I don't understand why i keep reading posts that say a one hole overflow is scary. I have been running an overflow box for over 2 years and never even had a slight bit of backup of water. I also run a small foam that distributes the water around the hole just enough to where i only hear it at night when everything is dead silent in the house.

The problem with a single overflow with almost any type of drain is that the drain flow closely matches to the return flow to keep it from gurgling. When it's like this all it takes is a snail crawling into it to slow the drain flow to the point that the return flow is faster. It might never happen but when it comes to potentially flooding the house I don't like to take chances. I actually have 3 drains at 3 different levels. The lowest one is choked off with a valve (The way John mentioned above) so the flow matches the return almost exactly. It's adjusted so the level is right at the second drain. (The drain is silent because there is no air entering it which is what causes the gurgling) The second one is wide open without a valve and can carry the entire volume if necessary. The third drain is overkill at the moment however it will come into use as the backup if I ever put a larger return pump in. Even with my old 40g using a HOB overflow I still drilled it out and added a backup drain.

I'm running one, but I wish I had 2. One can fail. Two can fail too, but you can also win the lottery the next day :)

Thanks for all the advice!

Here's my thoughts... Not thrilled about having to take the tank down to drill and plumb 2nd overflow, 1" acrylic guys!

Smann, I think I will take u up on the offer of extra parts to do the dorso. Any good websites on dorsos that I can read up on?

And for those that asked the standpipe is not glued in!

Beth

Beth/Kim

I had the same gurgling problem with my Glass-Holes overflow box on my 40B. I went to Home Depot & got some gutter screening material,pulled the mesh screen off & trimmed the plastic part to fit down into the box. I was told it breaks up the water flow. It's now completely silent. If you want a chunk just PM me & I'll throw it in the mail to you. Mike

DSCF2140sm.jpg

Here's my thoughts... Not thrilled about having to take the tank down to drill and plumb 2nd overflow, 1" acrylic guys!

Smann, I think I will take u up on the offer of extra parts to do the dorso. Any good websites on dorsos that I can read up on?

Beth

I'm not thrilled about the potential of 40 plus gallons of water ending up on the basement floor....(laugh)

I'll go start digging thru the boxes' date=' I'm sure I have one already made up. Are we still doing the acro buy, is that soon? I can do both the same trip[/quote']

The acro group buy got cancelled Steve. I can't remember why exactly. I'm sure we can find you a frag of something for helping out though. And Mike (racefan) thanks for the offer for the mesh. I leave all the plumbing decision to Beth. I will have her get back with you.

Beth

I'll go start digging thru the boxes' date=' I'm sure I have one already made up. Are we still doing the acro buy, is that soon? I can do both the same trip[/quote']

Not the group buy the colony 8-10 were going to buy for 25-30 depending on how many

Oh sorry Steve. Isaac made 11 frags of it. 9 people are in on the group buy. They will be available for pickup this Friday. Sorry so many group buys to keep track of LOL! The price is 30 dollars each.