Just cant keep my Zoanthids looking good

Fosters

Ok so im really working on getting my zoanthids to grow and to stay alive. I have a 180 gallon tank 3 10,000 k Metal lights just replaced them. I change at least 25 gallons of water every 3 Wks. My tank reads Alk 9.0 Ph 8.2 Salt 1.022 Temp 75. I have other soft corals in there that do great. Zoa"s look good for a week then die. I brought some more two days ago i have them placed at the bottem. Can you help a brother out(scratch)

I have 2 400W 20k radiums and zoo's grow like crazy where ever i place them' date=' [b']i'm thinking mick is on the right path[/b].

man dont let him read that-nudis will cause them to close up not whither and die-

I see this is your first post.

Give some history on your tank specificlly how old, other params, NO3.....etc

Isn't SG at 1.022 sort of low?

I have had my tank for about 4yrs now. 55 gal wet/dry pump turning water over about 8x an hour. Just always had fish. Shrooms, Rose tip Had for at least 3 yrs its huge, Hammer H. size of a dinner plate. 1.022 is low im slowly bringing it back up.

I use strontium for my tank feedings. Actually just started that within the past month or so and the zoas love it. Salinity is a bit low but it looks like Brad has already mentioned that one. Also what type of flow do you have for powerheads?

http://www.kentmarine.com/products/kent-strontium-molybdenum.htm

The salinity honestly shouldn't matter that much. Zoas unlike sps aren't that senstive to salinity changes. What kind of fish do you have in the tank? They could be eating them. Zoas don't have the sting of some of the softies. I would be suspicious that something is attacking them as your water parameters look fine and the other softies are doing well.

Mitchell, it may work for you, but obviously, something is going wrong with his tank. It is recommended that you keep flow 20x+, I know multiple people, who's tanks I've personally seen, who approach 100x turnover and they have some of the most stunning tanks you'll ever see.

8x flow is NOT enough IMHO, you need at least 2 powerheads on that tank, if not more.

The salinity honestly shouldn't matter that much. Zoas unlike sps aren't that senstive to salinity changes. What kind of fish do you have in the tank? They could be eating them. Zoas don't have the sting of some of the softies. I would be suspicious that something is attacking them as your water parameters look fine and the other softies are doing well.

That's a great thought about fish eating the zoas, that could be the problem. I have seen fish that do fine with other corals, but they eat zoas.

That's a great thought about fish eating the zoas' date=' that could be the problem. I have seen fish that do fine with other corals, but they eat zoas.[/quote']

Yeah I had zoas that did great in my biocube and there was not a lot of flow in there. I was thinking this because I had an aggressive tank and I had an angel she would not touch the torch ,hammer coral or xenia and definitely left the tube anemone alone but would definitely snack on the ugly brown palys that were in there. Not that I cared.

So many suggestions. Ill give you one as well. I too have a 180 with 3 MH's. I ran 10ks as well when the tank was still new. My zoas didnt grow much at all. I switched over to 14k's and all my zoas that never grew blew up.

Not that that is the answer but it might be something that simple.

As people above said...

The Salanity should be 1.026 and temp should be around 80. And just cross check you hygrometer with refractometer.

Another parameter to check in nitrite and nitrate! I have had the same issue but now it is resolved.

My salinity is at 1.024 and my temp at 75 and my zoas grow like crazy.

1.024- 1.025 is ware I keep mine and they grow great but need to know your parameters to give you a good educated guess so need Cal,Alk,Mag,Nit,Na,Ph I wouldn't be to worried about Strotium but the rest would give a good idea also tank inhabitants including inverts as some shrimp could be eating your polyps or a cowrie or other mollusk

Turning your tank over 8x is different than the 35x 60x etc that you all speak of. I think your confusing filtration with circulation. I think he meant he is turning his tank over 8xph which is plenty from what I have read and hear. but circulation wise yes it should be much higher.