180 gallon build

sergebmw3

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking killer Serge!! Glad to see you are getting a tank up and running finally and a nice looking one for sure! Keep up the good work. You won't regret going full reef with this one. It's setup will work perfectly for it.

Thanks Garett !!! Iam looking forward to it starting up and cycling finally, when I get all my live rock and everything we should talk about calc reactor and some other things I will need to get it up and functioning for a nice reef. Iam a fan of getting something really cool and fancy to make the tank look killer. Btw I haven't been down at ur place how I's the big tank going? And congrads on baby girl ;)

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.730145,-122.635580

The builds looking good Serge!

In the sump all those extra baffles are really needed from what I have been told just a single baffle seperating the return side where the skimmers will sit seperating that section with the next that looks like you are doing a fuge, After that place your set of 3 baffles to act as the bubble trap.

Just make sure you leave enough space (meaning dont make your baffles to tall) in the event of a power failure to where the draining water does not over fill the sump-

You have more patience than I, I would have bought a booster pump (oh wait I did) and overdrove the RO/DI unit

Good idea skipping the tusk-I have had one and they arent reef safe-spendy appetites.

The blue throat and crosshatch have been known to be reef safe (use with caution)

Anyway good looking build

I would move the first partition over a little and make a rack for some filter socks, If you are going to use them. Another partition in the center and then the bubble trap on the last one, the last chamber could be a little smaller, give you more room in the other two

Thank you guys for the amazing feed back and yes I'll be contacting u for some T5 here soon and as for the sump the only reason why my space I'n the return I's big I's because iam running a dart with a 2" inlet that creates a lot of sucking power when I tested it I had a whirlpool being created with 8 " of water I'n the sump Scary!!! But I agree with u on the sock part that's what I wS thinking ad well the other day :) thanks I'll start on that sump right away. Kimberlee what did you mean about the non reef safe and reef safe part sorry iam a little lost. But yes I have been waiting for some time now.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.496373,-122.578475

here is a picture of mine, almost the same layout, i'm running a Super Dart Gold and a Panworld

IMG_3484.jpg

I have a 90 on each pump inlet turned down towards the bottom

IMG_3497.jpg

That I's a nice looking sump :) you don't have a skimmer ?? I have a skimmer needs about 17" of room :( but iam thinking I need a 2nd pump for back you now that I think about it:( and thanks for the tip on the 90 elbow I understand now why u have them. What's a good pump to get as a secondary pump?

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.532221,-122.564682

So had some free time today and had the chance to make what I wanted to a calk reactor and and plumb everything how I wanted to iam going to run my calk off of my dare and my gfo off the dart as well and returning water to the tank! Almost forgot I will run a activated carbon medium as well.

50157fcc.jpg

d32b0409.jpg

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.611626,-122.585148

• 3 weeks later...

You are so welcome if I knew I would have given you some more I had 80 pounds left over so I stuck it in the sump.. The softies that u send me my way all opened up and are looking healthy iam feeding them as well that stuff u gave me. I'll post pics tomorrow when the lights come on