Water change?

jonas

Does that include sump minus rocks? Sounds like too much depending how often you are doing it and how healthy your tank is, how much you feed and what you feed. The heavier you feed and more livestock, the bigger I would make the water change. Good rule of thumb is 5-10% weekly...many people don't do that much monthly...some never. 25% is too big a change unless you are fighting nitrates. Being consistent is the key.

DrMerle

I change 5 gallons every week in my 55 gallon tank. That works out to 12.5% because with all the rock and sand I only have 40 gallons in the tank. I am thinking about changing that though and doing a one gallon water change everyday which would be 17.5% weekly.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I change 35 gallons every three weeks on my 180 gallon voume system, 5 gallons every two weeks on my 24 and 25 gallon systems and a gallon or so every other day on my 17 gallon frag system. Jeez, I just realized I spend far too much time doing aquarium maintenance...:>))

We change 275 gallons every 2 weeks on the 1400 gallon system, 50 gallons every 2 weeks on our 340gallon systems and 50 gallons on the 120 gallon invert system ever 2 weeks. water changes are key in this hobby to keeping a successful reef tank. There are many ways to skirt around it but in the end a good water change fixes alot of problems that otherwise probably could have been avoided.

i check nitrates, when they get to an unfavorable level, or they start to rise, i change about twenty percent in my big tank, which is 130. and my biocube is so filled with live rock, that it seems like of i do a 5 gallon water change it is like 30% lol. my biocube is very densly packed so i do it more frequently with that one and it is so easy ti do a big water change that has good effect if all it takes is a five gallon bucket!

We change 275 gallons every 2 weeks on the 1400 gallon system' date=' 50 gallons every 2 weeks on our 340gallon systems and 50 gallons on the 120 gallon invert system ever 2 weeks. water changes are key in this hobby to keeping a successful reef tank. There are many ways to skirt around it but in the end a good water change fixes alot of problems that otherwise probably could have been avoided.[/quote']

Boom in come the big guns!!!