Cleaner shrimp gone in <12 hrs

TheGooseWhisperer

I just got a cleaner shrimp last night (first on in over a year)...I acclimated it around lights out and this morning I see shell parts under a rock in the back. Whats more likely...it molted and is hiding out or it got munched in less than 12hrs?

I had one when i set up the tank for about a year and when it died I got a new one that only lasted a few days. I wasnt taking very good of the tank at the time so I chalked it up to poor upkeep and laid off of them til now. The tank has been doing really well except for poor zoa growth for a few months now. Everything tests good, fish and CUC are health and active.

I think it's very likely that it could have molted and just be hiding. Water quality would have to be pretty bad to die in 12 hours, as long as you acclimated carefully. I believe that inverts are a little more sensitive to salinity changes - so if there was a big difference between your tank and the shop, that could have been an issue.

Do you have any predators in the tank?

Well if i could find the body that would help alot...all i see is one feeler and a small piece of tail shell. Dunno what the salinity is at the store, but I get premade SW from there so that would minimize at least some differences. I did make an effort to acclimate it...tossed a scoop of my water in the bag ever 10-15min until it was prolly about 50-50 then dumped it in. I saw it sitting on the rocks for a few hours before I went to bed. Still no sign of it today...

Upon further inspection the 6-line is looking pretty fat for not being fed today. Could it be responsible for the death or just cleaning up the mess?

They can die during a molt. I lost my first fireshrimp that way. The shell got stuck and they cannot breath and suffocate. I was told to supplement with iodine and since then I have not lost another shrimp that way.

Me too. It was a sad day. Now that the new Kent salt has all the elements needed it's nice not to have to dose!