bulkhead sizes??

jennmac415

I am anxiously awaiting my bulk reef email, and in the meantime making my shopping list..(laugh)

I will be setting up a 120 gallon RR Aqueon tank, dual overflow, ...what size bulkheads do I need to get for it and do I want threaded or slip??? I looked at the drilled holes last night in the overflows and I thought the return hole was supposed to be smaller than the drain hole and they were both the same size. Is this something new, because I am sure in my other tank, my 180, they were different size holes...I will be using an external return pump...

thanks as always!

For the return i like threadxthread. The return has some pressure behind it, but i like to still have it removable.

For the drain i like slipxthread. ALlows you to slide the durso or whatever type of drain in and out of the bulkhead easily for cleaning/adjusting/etc.

HTH

:D

Thanks, Chewie.

Even for the return hole? So all 4 holes are the same size now?

And do I want slip or threaded or what?

You have 3 options:

slip-slip

thr-thr

slip-thr

While first is outside and second is inside the tank.

Usually it depends on how you are gonna do your plumbing: pvc (slip) or flexible vinil tubes (usually faster with threaded)? But you can use threaded pvc fittings if this can add more confusion lol

As for inside I personally prefer the thread because it is easier to change your nozzles of flow accelerators in case you change your mind. Unless it is gonna be an overflow, like an internal durso or similar. In that case I like to use slip inside.

+2

Just make sure that you use a decent layer of teflon tape. Threaded can be a nightmare if they are not tefloned and tightly secured. Also don't over tighten as it can break the plastic. It's really easy to do lol.

another +1. Lots of teflon and dont break! I ALWAYS buy extra bulkheads, fairly cheap but you cant go without them

Thanks everyone for the help, although I am still no clearer on the threaded/slip subject.. but that is not you all's fault (nutty)...By the way... I have decided not to order the bulkheads from BRS, just because I am not sure how I will be plumbing anything yet for sure..... so who in town carries them?? Who in town for that matter, carries locline, ball valves..etc....?

Thanks everyone for the help' date=' although I am still no clearer on the threaded/slip subject.. but that is not you all's fault (nutty)...By the way... I have decided not to order the bulkheads from BRS, just because I am not sure how I will be plumbing anything yet for sure..... so who in town carries them?? Who in town for that matter, carries locline, ball valves..etc....?[/quote']

SWF. They have everything you need.