Acrylic tank leak

talkalot82

yeah, empty the tank, glue a scrap piece of acrylic to the leak at the crack, so the crack is covered. you will need to use acrylic cement, not just silicone, to make sure it is a strong bond. will need to wait 24 hours before you put it back together. what size tank is it?

• Like 1

At 25 years old' date=' may be time to get a new one, the acrylic is getting brittle and will prob crack/haze a bunch more when you try glueing the scrap piece to it.[/quote']

Agreed with this, 25 years, its paid for itself IMO-thats a pretty dang long time, be glad it was not a 400-500 gallon tank-(laugh)

So we got this stuff that fixes the acrylic, that a friend suggested and we didnt have to empty the tank at all... So we'll see.. It's a really thick acrylic tank, so the tank itself doesn't even bow.. and there arent any other signs of damage .. It seems to be holding up well. We did manage to catch it while it was still strong. So keep your fingers crossed

well It seems to be doing fine. no sign of leakage.. they really knew how to make stuff back then...

It's amazing, I have items that dont last more than a year. I have boughten brand new tanks that have leaked or broken in a few days. and here 25 years later, and mind you we got it used before our 25 years even started... and the tank is only giving us problems now.. minus some wear and tear scatches.. but thats the par I suppose for buy acylic and no glass..

At 25 years old' date=' may be time to get a new one, the acrylic is getting brittle and will prob crack/haze a bunch more when you try glueing the scrap piece to it.[/quote']

I agree with reef165 you may want to upgrade to a new tank for guarantee assurance.

Vin "Keep On Reefing"