moving!

Drew

I'm moving this weekend and frankly i'm really stressed about my tank. What is the best method of transporting the fish? Wife says bucket but I'm afraid fish wont get along and its to small for 6+ fish, snails, etc. I'm thinking bags but i need to pick up some from somewhere.

The tank is last thing to go Tuesday night. I really hope the weather improves so I'm not transporting fish when its freezing. (scary)

I wouldn't use rock in the bucket(s). I'd put a couple pieces of pvc elbows/connectors ect. if I needed somthing like that. Buckets should be fine, use more than 1 if there is a need to seperate certain fish. Lids will keep it dark lessening stress and helping retain heat. Bagging would cause undue stress thats just not needed IMO.

Thanks Harold

When I moved a mile from my last house, I basically filled a 5 gal bucket 50% of water from the tank and put the fish in there. I wouldn't put any rocks, pipes or anything. The rocks or anything you put in the bucket can crush or injure the fish during transportation. Then acclimate the fish into the new tank since your old tank in it's new location will have new water. I had to transport 4 Tangs and a few smaller fishes, and snails and hermits. And for the corals, I would bag them up or make sure they are not touching each other during transportation.

I use Rubbermaid tubs myself, quite a few of them. Moving sucks and I get tired. So if I have to quit,t he fish can stay in the rubbermaid overnight with a powerhead and a heater. Same with the rock in a different rubbermaid, same with the coral in a different, well you get the picture.

I also like that the rubbermaids have lids so there is no splashing. I got mine that are 33g on sale for less then $10 a piece.

When I moved my tank 1000 miles from California I used the battery operated air pumps, and they did well. I used a power converter to run heaters. Sounds like this will not be an issue for you though if it is just cross town.