The Origin of Pink Boobies

Emerald525

Now now you dirty minded individuals...(nono) This is a link about a chalice. I had been wondering about the pink boobies and who named them.(scratch) I had always had an image in mind of some guy in a frat house after several beers with his buddies coming up with the name and then other boobie and nipple names followed suit(laugh) (blue boobies, gorilla nipples.. you get the idea)

Isaac (TCM aquatics) had told me that it was actually the same chalice as the Vivid Echino but then I saw a post on reef central where someone made a point of saying that he was selling vivid echino and not pink boobies so I was confused as I thought they were the same so I inquired(scratch) He said no they are not the same without explanation and seemed slightly offended by my question(nutty) Reef central takes things a tad more serious than here...(laugh)

I have come to the conclusion personally in looking at both that they are the same. Semantically speaking you could say they are different as they were from different vendors. Either way interesting read. I like to know how things began. I have heard the story of the Oregon Mummy Eye as Isaac was the orginator. I would like to hear more about the TEC now TECO watermelon and how it came to be.

Here's the link

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/general-lps-discussion/41392-original-le-chalice-colony-shots.html#post455493

I've been misslead...

Sorry Peterock :) This is a saltwater hobby forum after all. I know sometimes it is difficult to tell.

I would pick the pink boobies everytime just so I could tell people the name of it. Gotta love it!

I agree. Vivid echino boring name. Pink boobies much more fun!

(laugh) (laugh) (laugh)

And I thought I was gonna get to mod a thread! :p (laugh)

Hmmmm sometimes maybe we have to mod the mod (laugh)

Yeah but I love me some pink boobies............................

Chalice!!;);)(drooler)

I don't have any pink boobies...(sad) I only have a mini colony of blue boobies that started as a single "[language filter]" :) Somebody won pink boobies in the sps goc we did who was that...(scratch)

Hmmmm sometimes maybe we have to mod the mod (laugh)

I don't have any pink boobies...(sad) I only have a mini colony of blue boobies that started as a single "[language filter]" :) Somebody won pink boobies in the sps goc we did who was that...(scratch)

Hey now! I'm always on my best behavior here! lol Just dont go to any of the sport forums I go to!! (whistle) (laugh)

Since I am lazy and dont want to read the whole thread and most of the pics in the thread are gone , which is the PB? is it the one with the green eyes?

I would use google to see what they look like but I doubt its going to pull up the desired result.

Hey now! I'm always on my best behavior here! lol Just dont go to any of the sport forums I go to!! (whistle) (laugh)

Since I am lazy and dont want to read the whole thread and most of the pics in the thread are gone , which is the PB? is it the one with the green eyes?

I would use google to see what they look like but I doubt its going to pull up the desired result.

LOL you are lazy! It's in the middle of the page! It's the pink one with the green eyes and I have to say the second picture is sort of mammarylike or try your luck at google ...... (laugh)

All of this boobie talk makes me want a frag now!!DOH! Does it still go for over 200 a frag? We need to start a protection program because my (wife) is going to kill me!(laugh). Actually it's not funny' date=' she will probably try(help). Good thing I'm twice her size. (naner)[/quote']

Check with Jody! I know he has a colony and his prices are reasonable. If your wife complains just say you are supporting the economy. (laugh)

That is an awesome chalice. It was very interesting to read the story. The Oregon mummy eye has a great home grown story. I originally purchased a small frag with just 3 tiny eyes from Nick at Rosecity for $40. Chalices weren't going for that much back then. I let my frag grow for almost 2 years before finally making a frag to trade with Perry who owned OIAB at the time. He put it on ebay and it was selling for $200-$300 for a tiny frag with one eye. later that year the NW-CFM happened here in Portland and I met Steve Tyree and in conversation had mentioned this awesome chalice. He was immediately interested and gave me his contact info. so I could send him a photo. As soon as he saw the photo he was sure he wanted to make the coral an LE or AE through reeffarmers.com. I chose the name Oregon mummy eye because it closely resembles another popularized coral on the market called "mummy eye chalice" and I also wanted to give Oregon some props. The rest is history.

Here is a the photo of my original colony that I showed to Steve Tyree.

oregon_mummyeye.jpg

That is an awesome chalice. It was very interesting to read the story. The Oregon mummy eye has a great home grown story. I originally purchased a small frag with just 3 tiny eyes from Nick at Rosecity for $40. Chalices weren't going for that much back then. I let my frag grow for almost 2 years before finally making a frag to trade with Perry who owned OIAB at the time. He put it on ebay and it was selling for $200-$300 for a tiny frag with one eye. later that year the NW-CFM happened here in Portland and I met Steve Tyree and in conversation had mentioned this awesome chalice. He was immediately interested and gave me his contact info. so I could send him a photo. As soon as he saw the photo he was sure he wanted to make the coral an LE or AE through reeffarmers.com. I chose the name Oregon mummy eye because it closely resembles another popularized coral on the market called "mummy eye chalice" and I also wanted to give Oregon some props. The rest is history.

Here is a the photo of my original colony that I showed to Steve Tyree.

oregon_mummyeye.jpg

Thanks Isaac for the information and the OME is a great chalice and a great name!. It is just striking how much the green glows!

All of this boobie talk makes me want a frag now!!DOH! Does it still go for over 200 a frag? We need to start a protection program because my (wife) is going to kill me!(laugh). Actually it's not funny' date=' she will probably try(help). Good thing I'm twice her size. (naner)[/quote']

Well John, maybe I could allow her to barrow my wife. She's tiny but also a red head! Im sure the two of them could put a serious hurt to your man bits! :)

I have read mixed reviews and threads regarding the the PB and the vivid encino. I have bought chalices from folks that say they own both and their is a slight difference although if you did not see them side by side you could not tell one from another.

I got the PB from Jody last year when it was almost a 2 eye frag, it has stayed at 2 eyes until just recently it looks like it is going to kick out about 7 new eyes. My OOME did that, it stayed at a single eye for nearly a year and then it kicked out like 9 all at one time-its my present avatar

The history of the OOME is hilarious unless you are nick or jay and both them are quite sad about selling frags the size larger than a golf ball maybe more like a plum for like 30-40 dollars

I have read mixed reviews and threads regarding the the PB and the vivid encino. I have bought chalices from folks that say they own both and their is a slight difference although if you did not see them side by side you could not tell one from another.

I got the PB from Jody last year when it was almost a 2 eye frag, it has stayed at 2 eyes until just recently it looks like it is going to kick out about 7 new eyes. My OOME did that, it stayed at a single eye for nearly a year and then it kicked out like 9 all at one time-its my present avatar

The history of the OOME is hilarious unless you are nick or jay and both them are quite sad about selling frags the size larger than a golf ball maybe more like a plum for like 30-40 dollars

Yes I agree the OME history (not sure why you have an extra "o" brad) is interesting. As far as there being a slight difference there can be a slight difference just based on where you put a coral (OME gets orange with higher light) so my bet is they are one in the same. I would love for Jody to chime in about the TEC aka TECO watermelon. I heard back in the day he was practically giving chunks of it away....

That's what all my chalices seem to do. Miami hurricane grows and then all of a sudden sprouts a bunch of eyes, OME the same too. It grows pretty quickly. This is what mine looked like back in August.:

DSC05981ARW.jpg

I'll post a picture later of what it looks like now.

The original mummy eye and Oregon mummy eye are distinctly different in pigmentation when grown side by side. There is only one Oregon mummy eye. So to call it the original Oregon mummy eye seem a bit redundant and seems a bit redundant.

So what you're trying to say is Brad is WRONG.. What you're trying to say is Brad is WRONG (laugh)