Bristle worms eating fish and shrimp?

jackaninny

I've had a yellow head Goby and a cleaner shrimp disappear in the last month. I've also notice many bristle worms poking their heads out when I feed. Is it possible for a bristle worm to take out a goby or cleaner shrimp? Both of them were 3-4" long or is it more likely they croaked and got cleaned up fast? I checked for fish jerky and didn't find anything.

Get some cheese cloth, and wrap a prawn in it, put it in the sand neer some rock, do this at night when they are most active, the worms will go to eat and get stuck on the cheese cloth. do this several nights till you arn't getting any worms, then do it a couple times a week just to make sure. This should at least cut the population way down if not get rid of them.

I'm having the same problem, except mine is fireworms...Robert gave me a back up ID on them, so I'm sure I'm right...I've lost close to 400 bucks in fish over the last couple months, an it's driving me batty, if the cheese cloth idea doesnt work, I'm gonna break my tank down an cook all of the rock an get rid of all of the sand an start over completely from scratch lol.

yea fireworms are not as common and can be very agressive predators. bristle worms are really more detritus eaters and scavengers. If you have lots of bristle worms its probably a tell tale sign of high levels of nutrients in your system most likely from excess death and decay of fish / inhabitants that are not removed or over feeding. bristle worm populations will rise and fall with the amount of available food sources for them.

After losing the big yellow head I cut back on my feedings and I got a bristleworm trap and use it every few nights - caught a couple that were 2 inches all curled up. I'll keep at it and maybe try the cheesecloth trap too.

I wonder if the goby was sleeping under one of my rocks where there is a cavity and he likes to hide and maybe the bristleworm got him. Also lost a Helfrich to the little c8cksuckers and that's when the gloves came off.

Get a coral banded shrimp.. they love bristle worms..

I have a pistol shrimp and goby, but the bristle worms have never gone after then..

I have caught fire worms before, and boy does it hurt when you fine them with a ungloved hand.. I hear they can be mean... So maybe you have a fire worm.

I would if I was you try to catch the bristle worms though..

I am going to get cheese cloth tonight from wally world and try that myself.

good luck figuring this out.. sorry for your loss.. Things like this ruin my day when it happens to me

• 4 weeks later...

It's more likely they were cleaning them up after they died. I have a variety of small and big bristle worms (3-4 inches in length). They have never bothered with any of my fish and my red scooter blenny literally buries under the sand at night when they are most active. As Robert mentioned the population will rise and fall depending up the nutrients in the tank. Personally I prefer to have them doing cleanup duty.

I have bristle worms in my tank and they never bother anything, just part of clean up crew. As far as eating the fish, I think they will only eat ones that are dead, kind of like what crabs and snails do. I have a melanarus wrasse that sleeps in the sand and I think if they were harmful, they probably would have eaten it by now.

In regards to that video, I bet that bugger is going to have a pretty hard time slithering back into his hole in the rock lol

• 3 months later...

I know this is kind of an old thread but I witnessed a bristle worm nip the tail of a peppermint shrimp that went missing not long after. It and 2 chromis used to sleep under a rock at night and all three just dissappeared one by one and I am almost positive it was a bristle worm because I had a ton of them at the time. None bothered any corals though. The seem to have died off now since I don't have any fish to feed atm anymore. :)) I see a one every once in a while.