Got a couple of new clowns

fpd4308

Daves picasso come from percs.. He showed me mommy and daddy When I was there.. I believe he said if I am not mistaken that they have perc. platnums, and picasso.. I remember him saying he had to seperate them... into their own tanks, for grow out..

But ask barecuda, I was really tired that day... I may be wrong

Daves picasso come from percs.. He showed me mommy and daddy When I was there.. I believe he said if I am not mistaken that they have perc. platnums' date=' and picasso.. I remember him saying he had to seperate them... into their own tanks, for grow out..[/quote']

Interesting, I was always under the impression that both Picassos and Platinums where both Perculas Clown Morphs, and that the Platinum morph is the Dominant or Super form of the Picasso, by breeding two picassos together you should get some Platinums and Picassos in the offspring, basically the Picassos are the visual morph gene carriers for the Platinum....I could be wrong.

Edit...This is what ORA says about it...

The Platinum Percula is a nearly all white variation of the True Percula Clownfish. The result of years of selective breeding, the Platinum Percula is derived from our famous Picasso Clownfish. ORA developed the Platinum Percula through years of selectively breeding our famous Picasso Clownfish.

Interesting, I was always under the impression that both Picassos and Platinums where both Perculas Clown Morphs, and that the Platinum morph is the Dominant or Super form of the Picasso, by breeding two picassos together you should get some Platinums and Picassos in the offspring, basically the Picassos are the visual morph gene carriers for the Platinum....I could be wrong.

Edit...This is what ORA says about it...

I think that's right David. I know he gets both platinums and picassos in the offspring and I thought the parents were picassos.

When we were at the clownhouse last year Dave was saying something to the fact that you never really know how many platinums will come from a clutch. They all come from the same group so it's kind of a wait and see game from what I understood from him. That's why they are so much more expensive for the platinums as they are much more rare and you can't just breed a platinum pair.

When we were at the clownhouse last year Dave was saying something to the fact that you never really know how many platinums will come from a clutch. They all come from the same group so it's kind of a wait and see game from what I understood from him. That's why they are so much more expensive for the platinums as they are much more rare and you can't just breed a platinum pair.

But if its a genetic reproducable mutation, you would think it would follow some kind of mendelian genetics, and you would be able to somewhat predict the outcome. There are mutations in other animals that causes a higher death rate in egg developement that causes less to reach final gestation. If it follows a Co-Dominant pattern, a Picasso bred to a Picasso should yeild 25% normal Perculas, 50% Picassos and 25% Platinums, but thats not to say the Platinums possibly have some kind of issue with them that naturally culls some of the platinums off.

Its interesting, I really like Genetic Mutations, they fascinate me....Wish I could breed clownfish...LOL

This is what Dave told me as well. He gets all of his Picasso clowns from his ORA Picasso clowns that he purchased. You never know what you are gonna get some are just normal percula, some are grade B, grade A, and platinums. The grade A and platinums are the most rare and that is why they always cost more money you may only get a couple out of a whole clutch.