MH AND CORALS SODIUM ?

cklskypilot

The biggest problem with sodium vapor lamps, if they are low pressure type, is that they produce a vast majority of their light in two very close wavelengths (spectrum color lines) that is just under 600nm (a yellow color). For photosynthesis to work well, it needs more than just yellow light. It also needs the blue and the red light for different processes.

If they are high pressure sodium vapor lights, there is a larger variety of colors that are produced, and do include the reds and blues that are needed (make a more "white" light). From the looks of the spectrum found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_vapor_lamp the largest intensity of light is found in the green, yellow, and orange areas of the spectrum, with a little in the red, and not a whole lot in the blue area. Again, not the best for photosynthesis. Sodium vapor lamps probably don't have that great of PAR rating, but that is just speculation on my part.

dsoz

Interesting question, I was wondering the same thing recently. For certain plants, I know they grow very well under MH, but create much thicker/nicer "flower blooms" under sodium lamps. So I was thinking it they may aid in blooming or polyp extension or somethign like that. But I know little about reefing, and since I never see any sodium talk or related hobby products, I assume someone has already proven them less beneficial than the halides.