Where's breakfast??

rgrcrain

Ok we've talked about burgers now let talk breakfast.

When I lived in Colorado Springs there was a little place called "The Kings Chef". It had about 10 seats around a bar, if people needed two seats and there were seats on either side of you they would ask YOU to move down. The waitress was mean, one time I asked for a box and she said "sure sally i'll get you a box". They had a plate of food called "The Grump", it was a plate full of hashbrowns with sausage, bacon, or ham on top(I picked all 3:D) Then there was eggs on top of that and it was ALL covered with gravy.(drooler) And then if you finished all your food they gave you a sticker for the "Clean Plate Club". It was cash only and I had no problem dropping a 20 on breakfast and a tip. It was even featured on some food network show back then.

What I want to know is, is there anything near that cool in Portland?? Please help(laugh)

maybe not in portland, but in salem there is a breakfast place called word of mouth. Its amazing, the gravy is phenominal, the bacon is amazing and everything in between will blow your mind. Their chicken fried steak is made with filet mignon. if you are ever in the area i highly recomend you check them out. Be prepared to wait for a table though, the place seats about 30 people and fills up really fast.

Buicsik Court (spelling?) in Salem.

Sits 30'ish people and they only do breakfast and some brunch. The food there is really good Salmon Hash, HUGE biscuits and gravy! So big they come on their own plate. Rachel Ray from the Food Network actually has been there and either wrote an article or it was on the show. Never been there and waited less then 20 mins to get a table. Kinda funky as all the furniture doesn't match, kinda like they raided a bunch of garage sales to find their table and chairs. About $8-$12 a plate depending...........

(Funny but I grew up in CSprings! Grad Cheyenne Mt '98)

Couple good spots in PDX:

For kids, check out slappy cakes on Belmont. Pancakes and fun.

For eaters check out Pine State Biscuits. They have one on SE Belmont and one on NE ALberta. The on Belmont always has a long line and yeah, there are like seats for 10 people and you have to fisht for a spot, then everyone in line drools as you chow down. It was on Diners drive in s and dives a while back. I highly reccomend this spot for sure.

I think the gravy is what I really miss. Anybody can make hashbrowns' date=' meat and eggs but if the gravy is out of a package it kills it. lol[/quote']

When I was out in Illinois a few weeks ago I had the most amazing Omelet with Gravy all over it. It was at a little hole in the wall shop but wow it was good.

in our town we have a place called stuffys, they have a hashbrowns with ham, cheese, white gravy, diced peppers, etc and it is soo good.The plate that it comes on is huge! Can come out to size of a full large pizza tin. If you can eat it all you get your pic on the wall along with it being free

I'm still rooting hard for Word of Mouth. Went there for breakfast yesterday, got the special, which was 2 porkchops topped with tiger prawns and sausage, and if that wasn't enough of a heart stopper the covered them in hollendaise sauce. All that served with a hearty side of potatoes 2 eggs and toast. It was amazing.

They are the folks that used to own busick court, it has really gone downhill since they left and i can guess why. If you are looking for breakfast in salem I highly recommend Word of Mouth.

For eaters check out Pine State Biscuits. They have one on SE Belmont and one on NE ALberta. The on Belmont always has a long line and yeah, there are like seats for 10 people and you have to fisht for a spot, then everyone in line drools as you chow down. It was on Diners drive in s and dives a while back. I highly reccomend this spot for sure.

+1 for Pine State Biscuits. One of the best breakfasts I have ever had. The basic biscuits and gravy is amazing, but they also have fancier stuff too.

In my neighborhood we have THE "Original Pancake House". Its a nationwide chain, but the one on SW Barbur (near Burlingame area/Multnomah Village) is where it all began. All things pancake there are great and I really like the bacon too.

Original Pancake House has my overall vote! I know it's not a ma and pa style business but it's not a huge chain either. I can get killer pancakes, bacon, eggs, Dutch Babies, etc. and I can get them here in Salem or when I head to the mountain over in Bend. I love the food and find it hard to go elsewhere when I want a good breakfast. Word of Mouth is pretty great as well! They do have quite a bit of food for the money and it's a nice funky place to eat.