My Crocea Spawning

grassi

After the Giga is now the time of the Crocea. Different behavior: I'm gonna be a clam sperm expert soon (nutty). This is the result of a change in salinity and temp. I had to perform a freshwater dip because I'm having some problems with my clams.

The crocea that is spawning wasn't dip yet. But the other 6 were. They can understand a danger situation from other clams and so they start spawning. It is possible that another small clam started spawning and I didn't notice, starting a chain reaction

Video coming soon

IMG_6412.JPG

IMG_6413.JPG

IMG_6415.JPG

IMG_6416.JPG

After the Giga is now the time of the Crocea. Different behavior: I'm gonna be a clam sperm expert soon (nutty). This is the result of a change in salinity and temp. I had to perform a freshwater dip because I'm having some problems with my clams.

The crocea that is spawning wasn't dip yet. But the other 6 were. They can understand a danger situation from other clams and so they start spawning. It is possible that another small clam started spawning and I didn't notice, starting a chain reaction

Video coming soon

Very Cool, Curious what kind of issues are you having with them? Pinched mantle? You should start a Clam Sperm Bank....lol

Very Cool' date=' Curious what kind of issues are you having with them? Pinched mantle? You should start a Clam Sperm Bank....lol[/quote']

I'm having a problem with croceas after I added a clam that was showing some issues. I checked the tissue under the scope but no sign of parasites.

Here is the vid

http://www.youtube.com/smashbeat2#p/a

Mick, I have some clam stallions for sure lol

Harold, yes the microscope is something I really suggest as a diagnostic instrument in our hobby. With the help of online databases you can see what your eye is not able to.

cschwarz, the problem started when I added that clam. Today I lost a clam that I had in my tank for 2 years. I don't know if your clam was the cause. We will never know. It is just my guess. As I told you in a pm a few weeks ago, I know clams and the risks that you are gonna have when introducing a new animal.

I saw the clam in your tank and I would buy it again right now. My fault to not quarantine if that was the cause.

No worries, it's all good. Just some more experience on saving clams. The ones that survived went through the most complex freshwater dip that I ever performed :)

When I worked for Jason at Coral Reef Pet Center a couple of years ago, Jason got pissed on day and said his clams were spawning. I asked what was the problem with that, and he said that all the clams were gonna die. The next week you could see one after another die off. Lost all the clams he had. I hope you have different results.

I had some spawning in the past. And they survived. But I wouldn't be surprised if I'm gonna loose some more in the next days this time :(

Spawning can be a sign of health or high stress. I'm just crossing my fingers and doing what I can

as for the clams dieing after spawning, this usually happens in an enclosed system where the spawn was not removed by a large water change. If you don't do a water change within 12 hours you will have a huge ammonia and nitrite spike, then followed by nitrate spike. This is due to the sperm degrading and bacteria taking over creating a nutrient spike. I hope your clams will do ok alex, just got to get them back into clean stable water

I let the clam spawning in a bucket with an heater for a few hours, until extinguished. I was changing all the water every 15 minutes or so. The clam looks good today. I was lucky to be home when happened.

The good thing is that I saved the microscope slides of the eggs and sperm. They will be useful for our breeding project :)