building a new tank 180-200G

sontdo

I'm planing to get a new tank 180-200G since my 100G is getting tight for SPS and LPS, fish. I would like to get your recommendations on the set up equipments:

1. lighting system - LED vs. metal halide- does anyone have experience on LED lighting for SPS?

2. RO/DI

3. calcium reactor

4. protein skimmer

5. seaswirl vs. Vortech or both

I'm think of doing a square tank, walking around it. Or a three sided tank. any suggestion on the most simple plumbing sysem and design

Any suggestion on who can build a high end tank, stand and canopy?

Thank you for your suggestions.

The main thing I have heard about LEDs is that you are limited in changing the coloration. They are cool but unlike MHS and T-5's you cannot expirment with different bulbs to get the color you want.

We debated MHs versus T-5s for our new build and decided to go with the ATI PM. Grassi is running one over his frag tank and it puts out great par. It also uses a lot less electricity and puts out a lot less heat which for us was huge as we have several tanks in the basement and in the summer it was getting way too hot in there.

Here is a great threat on RC about the ATI:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1684462

As far as building a tank. I would go with James at Envisions. He is very busy but is well worth the wait. I saw Steve Weasts coldwater setup and Smann's setup and James is a perfectionist.

Here's Smann's build thread:

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21688

Steve Weast's tank is also a thing of beauty..

(I'm seeing a pattern, maybe you have to be named Steve to get a tank built by James at Envisions ;) )

For a stand and canopy Davey Jones does great work. He also makes great sumps too and built one for us which you can see in our new 150 tank build in my signature.

We were going to do both seaswirls and 2 mp40 vortechs because we had an extra seaswirl but it is too small. I have heard good things about the new mp60 vortechs.

For a tank that size id recommend the swc i think its a 300, as for lighting, yes, ati powermodule all the way. 4 mp60's should be more than enough, especially when combined with an Apex controller. For tank size it depends on room and what kind of fish you want. I want lots of tangs so for our dream build im going 8x4x2. Thats 480g roughly so a bit big lol...also on skimmer look into the bubblekings.

The main thing I have heard about LEDs is that you are limited in changing the coloration. They are cool but unlike MHS and T-5's you cannot expirment with different bulbs to get the color you want.

It depends on the LED system you get. Or if you build one yourself. I was able to dial any color that I wanted with the turn of a dial. I had the whites and the blues on different dials. Ive run LEDs and MH over my 25g cube and I got better growth and color using my cheap 250w MH vs 117w of CREE leds. Didn't get a chance to borrow a PAR meter, but the LEDs should have been higher than the MH. I just don't think think LEDs are quite there yet, but soon. My guess is that it has something to do with not having UV.

2. For RO/DI I would try to get at least one 100gpd unit

3. We just sold our calcium reactor. Think we're going to dose instead.

4. We run a SWC 200 on our 240g. I would buy another SWC for sure.

5. We run 2 seaswrils. Can't really run vortechs on our tank. The back wall is the overflow and don't want to stick them on the side. But everyone that has a vortech, seems to love them.

We have a 4x4x2' tank made by I think CPI out of Seattle. Bought it used. Love the dimensions of it. If I were to have a custom tank built, I would talk to Jason at Envisions. But the Marine Land DD tanks are also nice if you want a pre-made tank. For lighting we run 4x250w MH over the tank. It was either that, or run 2x400wMH plus VHOs. But for the same wattage, I think I get better coverage with the 4x250w.

If you ever head to Longview Wa, you're welcome to come check out our set up to give you ideas on things you want or don't want.

This is what i pick, no more cheap equipments let's play like Japan.

Lighting-------definitely LED or T5s

RO/DI-------Spectra Pure brand

Calcium Reactor---- Dosing pumps

Protein Skimmer------Brand names like Octopus external cone, Reeflo, etc...Please no knock offs!

Definitely -------Vortech

Vin "Keep On Reefing"