Custom Glass aquarium builders

thatguy559

I can't comment on Rick's build quality, although I believe he's a hobbyist working with glass and not a professional tank builder. For the size your talking about I would only consider a professional tank builder with some tank engineering experience.

Like I said I've only seen photos of one of the first tank he's built and have no idea how his skills have progressed.

Other than that there really isn't any options around here, Joel who used to own Waves was building glass tanks but I believe he quit building tanks when he closed his shop. You might try the Seattle area, I believe I remember hearing that someone up there was building custom glass tanks. This was a while ago though.

Have you considered acrylic?

I know a lot of people dislike acrylic tanks because of how easy they scratch, although if your looking at Starfire (low iron glass) it scratches fairly easy compared to normal glass. I personally wouldn't consider building a glass reef tank without Starfire because of how much regular glass kills the optical quality.

As far as visual clarity you can't do better than acrylic.

Acrylic does scratch easier than Starfire, but acrylic is repairable and can be polished without even draining the tank or removing livestock. If you scratch glass you just have to live with it.

Eventually a glass tank will break down, its just the nature of silicone and has the potential form leaks over time. An acrylic tank will last forever if properly built.

To me the choice is simple, we're blessed to have one of the worlds top acrylic tank fabricators right here in the NW. I'd give James a call over at Envision Acrylics.

James has built multiple tanks for me as well as plenty of other members around here. His prices are very fair and the quality can't be matched. He'll get you setup with a beautiful over built tank that'll last a lifetime.

http://www.envisionacrylics.com/contact.html

Give him some time to get back to you, he can take a little while depending on how busy he gets. It's just him and his wife that work at the shop.

Best thing you can do is draw out your ideas and sit down and talk with him or email him what you have in mind.

Even if I lived all the way across the country I'd still have James build my tanks. You'll get a completely custom tank tailored to exactly what you want while knowing you've got the Rolls Royce of fish tanks.

And keep your wife away from the magnet cleaner... Mine won't go near the tank cause she knows better!

• 1 month later...