• Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
    • Instant Ocean Synthetic Sea Salt
    • Kent Marine Sea Salt
    • Oceanic Natural Sea Salt
    • Red Sea Coral Pro Salt/Red Sea Sea Salts
    • SeaChem Sea Salts
    • Tropic Marin Sea Salts
    • Other/ Like Get Tanked, ect.

After you see all the popular kids are using Kent salt you go with reef crystals anyway...DOH!;)

I can't bring myself to buy Reef Crystals... It sounds too much like a condition you can only talk to your doctor about!(laugh)

Keep us posted on how it works David. I have seen other sites and polls regarding salt and it appears depending on where you live the majority use one type. A big reason for using Kent is the availability and price for what you get.

LOL...(laugh) I know...I had kinda already somewhat commited to using Reef Crystals and bought a bucket of it, then as the days went on, the numbers kept growing for Kent...lol, I was suprised at how many use Kent, reading on other forums, Reef Crystals received pretty good reviews, except for I guess a bad batch where the numbers where off. Whats funny is elsewhere I rarely heard rave reveiws about Kent, thats why I was suprised how many people in the NW use it...I had e-mailed several reef keepers outside of PNWMAS forum and they recomended Reef Crystals and said they have used it for years and have been very happy with it, so I chose to give it a try....Maybe I should have waited to buy salt till I saw the final results of the poll(scary)...lol I think everything will be fine, as long as it doesn't kill coral, I will be happy...lol

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL...(laugh) I know...I had kinda already somewhat commited to using Reef Crystals and bought a bucket of it' date=' then as the days went on, the numbers kept growing for Kent...lol, I was suprised at how many use Kent, reading on other forums, Reef Crystals received pretty good reviews, except for I guess a bad batch where the numbers where off. Whats funny is elsewhere I rarely heard rave reveiws about Kent, thats why I was suprised how many people in the NW use it...I had e-mailed several reef keepers outside of PNWMAS forum and they recomended Reef Crystals and said they have used it for years and have been very happy with it, so I chose to give it a try....Maybe I should have waited to buy salt till I saw the final results of the poll(scary)...lol I think everything will be fine, as long as it doesn't kill coral, I will be happy...lol[/quote']

LOL I will still be your friend even though you are not in the Kool Kids Kent Klub!(laugh):p

I think a lot of people started using it here just because it was readily available and reasonable.

I agree on other forums Kent is not so popular but it has worked out fine for us. I believe Instant Ocean was the salt of choice in reef frontiers in this poll and reef crystals was second:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f36/salt-mix-do-you-use-57735/

If you want something really different you should try Reefers Best.

Do 5% every other week instead of 10% weekly of water change.

At the end you are using probably the best salt on the market and you are saving a few cents per gallon.

I'm thinking to go this way. So for all the Kent fans there will be a couple of buckets for sale soon :)

Just to let you know, Kent has changed its' formula, has a new bucket and is now named Kent Reef Salt. I picked some up last week and tested its values for the big three at 560 ca, 12 dkh and 1400 mg at 1.026. I don't think that their old formula will be available anymore. Here is a link to Kent's site about this salt.

http://www.kentmarine.com/products/sea-salt.htm

I bought some of this today.

fa663ae7.jpg

At the end you are using probably the best salt on the market and you are saving a few cents per gallon.

I'm thinking to go this way. So for all the Kent fans there will be a couple of buckets for sale soon :)

Mike (Uhuru) in corvallis used to use that salt Grassi. It is amazing. I bought the rock and some corals outta his 40B and used them in my nano. He even gave me some left over salt after he broke down totally.

I was just amazed at how everything looked and thrived with that salt. All of my parameters were spot on also. Where do you buy it from?? The reason I never used it again wasn't readily available.

I have been wanting to try this so bad but is so dang expensive and hard to find. And when I can get Kent for about $30 per bucket its hard to use other salts.

I will do Beth :)

Ryan, I didn't try it yet, but I did some math and I will probably try:

It cost $84 and you do only a little bit more than 140g.

Kent cost about $45 to me, and you can do 210g (never measured, this is what is said)

On my 220g it will be less or more, each month:

RB: $0,6 per gallon 20g $12 (5% every othe week)

Kent: $0,3 per gallon 80g $24 (10% weekly)

I've found it here:

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=226&products_id=1181

If somebody is interested we can ask some LFS for a mini group buy.

I've heard it is a great salt. I've found it while reading about ZEOvit

• 5 months later...

The Nautilus' DT has been having problems with really low mag (around 500) so we checked the Kent Salt. The level we were getting at 1.026 was about 1100. We were trying to decided if it would worth it to do a huge water change or just keep adding mag supplements. He's running a calcium reactor so do we need to do something special as far as what mag we use (sulfide/chloride).

What ever happened to reefsafari (originally poster of this thread)? Has anyone heard from David? He hasn't been on here in a while. Great guy.

I thought they were getting out of Reefing for a bit and just doing FOWLR's? Not sure though. It has been quite awhile since I've heard from Him or Amanda. Hope all is well in the gorge.

• 6 months later...

I use Kent mostly because I only buy the smaller cantainers 50g at a time and kent packages their 50g in a jug with a screw on cap. Hands down better then dealing with a bag that no matter how hard you try ends up getting moisture in it and clumping up. =) and kent has gotten good reviews from fellow reefers that I have talked to.

It's interesting to see the vast majority of people on here preferring the Kent over the IO in the poll. Usually IO Reef Crystals beat out Kent in most polls. Looks like either one is a good option though.

For those that chose Kent over IO, what is your reasoning and what is the application? Reef tank, FOWLR or other?

• 2 weeks later...