QT tank

Gill

So I think I have finally broken down and decided I need a QT tank. I have not been able to rid my tank of ICH and am seriously considering putting up a 55 and running hypo salinity with all my fish for 8 weeks! I cant really decide if this is a good idea since the stress on my fish will be considerable not to mention the stress on my family (my house is so small). Anyways just curious what everyone else's QTs look like. And feel free to talk me down if you think I am being rash. I really wish I had QT'ed all my fish in the first place it would not have required such a large tank. DOH!

• Like 1

I have a 29g tank that I could loan you. It has had copper in it before so it is no good for reefing but I have used it as a QT tank whenever I get a new fish.

I put a HOB filter and a heater in the tank. I usually don't light it, but I do have some PC lights that I could loan you that could be jury-rigged up to make some light (I think only the actinics still work, but it is something).

dsoz

I have a 29g tank that I could loan you. It has had copper in it before so it is no good for reefing but I have used it as a QT tank whenever I get a new fish.

I put a HOB filter and a heater in the tank. I usually don't light it, but I do have some PC lights that I could loan you that could be jury-rigged up to make some light (I think only the actinics still work, but it is something).

dsoz

Thanks Dennis I was thinking about using a 29 but I have so many aggressive fish at this point I don,t know if they could go in a 29 for 2 months. My LFS lent me a nice UV so I think I will let it run for 2 weeks just to give it a chance. After that I might send you a PM. Thanks again Dennis you are the man!!! (clap)

dude' date=' i just had a mega ich outbreak, MEGA ( i still have it). i had to pull out all the inverts etc out of my tank, medicate and dip them. i am definitely going to qt from now on! i was thinking something similar[/quote']

Did you loose the sailfin?

Thanks Dennis I was thinking about using a 29 but I have so many aggressive fish at this point I don' date='t know if they could go in a 29 for 2 months. My LFS lent me a nice UV so I think I will let it run for 2 weeks just to give it a chance. After that I might send you a PM. Thanks again Dennis you are the man!!! (clap)[/quote']

Let us know how that UV sterilizer works. I've considered investing in one but there are so many other things I need for my tank it's not very high on my priorities list. Here's a guy on youtube talking about ich:

His videos are very informative and it personally cracks me up listening to a guy with a New York accent and swagger discussing reef chemistry and biology. Have you had any fatalities yet from ich? If not maybe just wait it out with the sterilizer.

I had ich outbreaks in my fowlr for the 1st 6 months. Uv,hypo,lights off,lower temp,garlic etc seemed to reduce the stress and outbreak intervals, but I found that a large cleaner wrasse seemed the most effective. He just carefully picked at all of the fish and I haven't had an outbreak since.

I had ich outbreaks in my fowlr for the 1st 6 months. Uv' date='hypo,lights off,lower temp,garlic etc seemed to reduce the stress and outbreak intervals, but I found that a large cleaner wrasse seemed the most effective. He just carefully picked at all of the fish and I haven't had an outbreak since.[/quote']

i understand the use for a cleaner wrasse, and the convenience, but i have heard from a lot of people that they will die off really quick, to me this sounds a little inhumane ( perhaps cleaner shrimp are the way to go), no offense newfisher.

but hey, if it lives, it lives.

just a fair warning to those who wish to buy one.

the reason for their short life-span in aquariums, as i have heard,is because they feed on parasites, which are very rich in fat and protein because they feed off of fish. so when there is a lack of parasites for them to eat, they cannot sustain themselves.

If your going to set up a temp hospital tank why not run copper in it instead of hypo? Or did I miss somthing. Is your tank that has the outbreak a fowler or reef? Either way I know how it is wanting to put a fish in the tank and not have to/being able to set up the QT especially when everyone around you says "I never use a QT" "Its more trouble than it's worth" until it happens. Good luck guys, I've got a big bottle of Coppersafe if ya need some.

Some cleaner wrasses will eat frozen food I had one for a year until the sucker decided to jump :(. I agree there are better ways though to fight ich and it is a big risk to the fish.

Your thinking exactly what I am Kim, it just seems like it would be a huge stress. I just really want it to go away :( But none of the fish are scratching on the rocks so I should probably just wait it out.

I had ich outbreaks in my fowlr for the 1st 6 months. Uv' date='hypo,lights off,lower temp,garlic etc seemed to reduce the stress and outbreak intervals, but I found that a large cleaner wrasse seemed the most effective. He just carefully picked at all of the fish and I haven't had an outbreak since.[/quote']

Is the cleaner wrasse eating frozen? I was thinking I should get a neon goby and maybe another cleaner shrimp.