pH

Gill

My PH swings from 7.95 to 8.40 in the summer when the doors and windows are open more, and when we are out of summer I usually see swings of 7.65 for lows and 8.10, maybe 8.15 for highs-

I spent way to long doing this and that "chasing" my PH, I've tried a lot liquids, powders, Kalk drip and the list goes on.

I don’t do anything anymore and let the tank do its thing-everything in my tank looks and is doing great.

If you are talking swings from photosynthesis, that’s one thing, if you are talking that your tanks PH is 7.6 even during the light periods, then that’s an issue.

Best product I have found is Brightwells PH+, it raises PH only, a lot of products that boost PH also raise alk. so read the fine print.

Make sure you are using an accurate means of testing ph as well.

There are many variables that effect PH, I use a calcium reactor that contributes to lower PH values.

There is just more to the answer of what boosts PH than simply saying a product name, understanding what is causing that is good to know

I see 7.6 quite often too. Like Brad (reefnjunkie) I chased it for a long time and finally gave up. My place is just newer construction with higher CO2 levels. It really drops if I use the gas fireplace in the corner. Some people vent their tanks outside which would help. You can also keep it from dropping as much at night if you run a couple of lights over your sump or refugium. I alternate them so that the sump/fuge has light on at night while the tank get's it during the day.

I think that Brad's suggestions are perfect. Try to understand what's goin on in your tank, but don't be obsessed.

Two common ways to raise the ph are raising the alk or raising the oxygen content. Or a mix of the 2.

What you really want to do is to find a ionic balance. I've found the writings of Randy Holmes-Farley very useful and well written.

As a side note for who is still chasing the "perfect ph" I finally found my way.

Since I started dosing with a controller I see my numbers stable and going where I want.

This is my Apex curve for ph. As you can see each hour you can notice the little spike due to a few ml of alk solution added to the tank. I'm now slowly raising it to the 8.1-8.3 target range. A few clicks on the buttons and I will be there :)

AquaController%20Apex.jpg

Thank you all so much for all the info!!!

on a side note from the ph issue, i would also throw out all the dead / decaying coral, that is only adding to your tank problems as it rots away. your shrimp and goby made it safely to my house, now to see if they show back up after running into hiding, LOL.

Been there done that-LOL

reefnjunkie how are you testing your PH that you get such specific readings? I've been using API and it's rather vague in its reading.

I have an APEX controler that I use, one PH probe for the effluent of the reactor and another to show me the tank PH-

Most of the time it is caused by the CO2 in the air from a tight house. Try running a air line from outside to your protein skimmer.

Ya I tried that also when I was trying to keep my PH "stable". I drilled a hole through the family room wall to the very "ventilated" garage.

I tried a 2nd container for the reactor with just aragonite, I tried a Kalk reactor ran off the Apex, I tried, I tried.... and the list goes on.

All the while knowing oit really does not matter, and my corals tell me that every time I look at my tank (laugh)

In my (and others who have seen) opinion, my SPS are quite "happy"

on a side note from the ph issue' date=' i would also throw out all the dead / decaying coral, that is only adding to your tank problems as it rots away. your shrimp and goby made it safely to my house, now to see if they show back up after running into hiding, LOL.[/quote']

Ya they are good at that LOL. Hopefully they will make the burrow entrance in full view for you, they usually do.