Looking for some certain types of fish

lucid

Does anyone have a few suggestions as to a few fish who complement eachothers behavioral patterns? Also, am interested in some fish that "zip" around the tank and are quick, clowns get boring. Maybe a fish that likes to occupy darker areas such as the cave i created with some live rock. So really just some entertaining fish.

I'd personally scratch tangs unless you get them small, understanding that they will need to be moved to a larger tank as they will quickly outgrow your 55, I made the mistake of putting a naso, a quite small one to be honest, in a 40b, beautiful fish, favorite fish even, but BIG mistake, it just wasn't enough tank for the fish, they need at least, AT LEAST, a 6' tank, if not larger.

many? define many? And while I have kept a naso tang in a 40b' date=' I would never do it again, watching that poor fish go side to side every day all day cause it just wasnt enough room, an he was only 2" or so, it was heartbreaking. Tangs NEED swimming room, lots of it.[/quote']

completely agree with Mick, IMO no Tang will be happy and survive long term in a 25g or 30g tank. stores keep Tangs in a 55g tank but that is only temporary.

yellow tangs do well in a 55g. i also like the lawnmower blenny, a very active rock and ground fish, the dragon goby's are also very entertaining to watch sift the sand and swim everywhere, a wrasse of some sort like 6 line or yellow corris will swim in and out of your rocks all day long and very fun to watch hunt for pods, i also recommend talbot damsel and midas blenny. the midas is very active and loves to establish holes in the rocks as its territory. i like watching them back into their holes. a small blue hippo would probably be fine for a 2-3 years.

I just got a flame hawk he dose not swim around but be finds spots in the rock to sit.

Give it a little time. The one I had was pretty active.

As for fish with personalities and that will hide in a cave I would suggest a Niger Trigger or a Dwarf Lionfish. Both will hide in the rocks at night and both have loads of personality. For a 55g though you would only want one or the other. Another suggestion for one that zips around would be a coral beauty angel although they don't really hide a lot.

Could i get both a lawnmower blenny, and midas? Also, its either a yellow tang or blue hippo, right? not both? I think my next fish would be some sort of wrasse, so i could watch it zip around the rocks. Should i let the Clownfish settle in a little more before adding another fish?

wait a couple of weeks between each addition, it gives your tank time to become used to the addition to the bioload....You could possibly do both blennies, but yes, i'd personally recommend only one or the other, and as for a wrasse, I'd recommend a melanarus, they're beautiful, active, and do a bang-up job on bristleworms.

Hmm interesting that MANY people have tangs in even there 25-30 gallon tanks' date=' and no reported problems. And its also interesting to find them in 55g in most stores.[/quote']

People usually don't post about a fish they killed LOL. I believe if you get a small yellow tang you could keep him for 2 years before having to upgrade. One thing to remember about tangs is that under feeding is not an option. While a clown will simply not grow if fed an inadequate diet the tang will continue to grow all the time getting skinner and skinner until you can count the ribs. Tangs are also not very hardy they will succumb to disease before most other fish. They also happen to be IMO the most vibrant active beautiful fish you could hope to own.

Really though try sending PM's to people with tangs in 30 gallon tanks and ask them how there fish are doing.

I would not recommend any tang in a 30gal tank. You could only do a very small one. My daughter got a baby blue hippo and put it in her 29gal biocube and it has already doubled in size in 2 months. I figure in about 5 more months it will be to big for her tank and I will have to fish it out. Then it gets to go into my 150gal tank where there is 6 tangs already.