Blue cloves-need to die (forever)

reefnjunkie

Well I have no idea what "forum" this belongs because to me they are presently "nuisance" items.

How do you permanently kill off blue clove polyps without hurting chalices/SPS?

I cant imagine Kalk paste, and scraping wont work.

I'm not able to remove the rocks they are on so that's not an option either.

Best guess I can come up with is covering them in Epoxy.

What options does anyone know of????

Thanks

Hmmm good question i have those little buggers too, infact they got in my big tank and i dont ever remember having them in there. I think they jumped from one tank to the other lol

I tried brushing them off with toothbrush, worked for couple weeks then they where back. I do have some blue cloves growing by some chalices and the chalices have done a good job of stinging them and keeping them back. Not sure on a non-biological control method.

I am almost considering a brand new scour pad_ I use one currently on the glass at times-It has a sponge inside of a nylon type outer casing -I think "doobie" is the brand/manufacturer.

Anyway literally scouring them into the rock-I'm just afraid of free floating "Clove dust" that grows from the dust/spores or whatever the word is.

I can take the purple Epoxy made by 2 little fishes and literally form a sheet and smother them but it would look rather un-natural. I don’t think it would look that bad and over time it may not be noticeable-I need to act soon before they continue to spread-

My Blueberry Alien Eye is "touching" some now so I'm glad to read that Roy's are being held at bay by his chalices-

I think the pulverizing them into the rock may work.

Anybody have any thoughts as to how that may be bad-other than killing them

Could you place a plastic dish over them and "starve" them of light? Maybe use a few small blobs of epoxy to fasten it down so the dish/container doesn't move. You could cut the edges of the container to match the rock shape and get a decent seal around it.

maybe black bisquene or however its spelled. The stuff that sometimes they use when laying barkdust

????

I would try the boiling water myself. Its going to take a while as it will seem like your playing cat and mouse as they hide when squirting. Try and find the smallest Turkey baster or biggest syringe and kinda squirt slowly on the spot you want to kill.

Not sure how well it will work on them, but what do you have to lose but time.

i would get a dremel tool with a 24" extension and well u know the rest of the story.

I would go with the dremel and a straight tile bit, has teeth all the way around the tip. I have cut coral in place with it, I had my son with the siphon tube sucking out the debri, works great

I would go with the dremel and a straight tile bit' date=' has teeth all the way around the tip. I have cut coral in place with it, I had my son with the siphon tube sucking out the debri, works great[/quote']

Seeing this in person defied what i thought was do-able. i was waiting for smann to get zapped and blasted across the room.

• 4 months later...
Well I have no idea what "forum" this belongs because to me they are presently "nuisance" items.

How do you permanently kill off blue clove polyps without hurting chalices/SPS?

I cant imagine Kalk paste, and scraping wont work.

I'm not able to remove the rocks they are on so that's not an option either.

Best guess I can come up with is covering them in Epoxy.

What options does anyone know of????

Thanks

Yo Brad, My buddy just killed almost all of them in his tank. Dont know if you have ever seen pictures of pantherguys tank but he had them everywere. We both run chemiclean every so often and aparentley it also killed off almost all of his blue clove polyps. lol Bonus!

Yup yup! I ran some chemi clean per their directions. For reasons other than those blue cloves, and discovered

It was a great way to rid my tank of those bastards!! Lol I still have some leftover but nowhere near as many as before. I'm thinking about running it again to see if it will destroy the last remaining patches:)

I'd like to add nothing else was harmed in the treatment! Or at least visibly anyway:) just incase there are some chemi clean haters out there lol.