Erica's Crawdad Aquaculture Project

Erica

Hello everyone!

I created a new thread that will hopefully be easier for everyone to know my story, and perhaps help me with my needs.

I found out recently that my school has extra plexi tanks that I can use for my project. Apparently 8 tanks were donated to the program a couple years back that have been sitting in storage. They all have PVC hookups already!

I attached photos of the tanks.

I still need help! As you can see in the pictures, they have two PVC holes, one bigger than the other. Which one should be my in-flow and out-flow?

I have a pool pump that was given to me by another student, now all I have to figure out is how I am going to hook them all together.

So, with tanks out of the way, I need PVC of all sizes along with PVC connectors that connect to other sizes. like 1" to 3/4", 1" to 1 1/4", ect.

I also really need power heads and pumps to aid circulation.

I feel i'm almost there! just a little bit more!

About the crayfish: They are fairly simple water wise, they are very tolerable to low and high temperatures with proper acclimation. as for housing- I plan to use 1/4" chicken wire to make "crawdad corrals" in the tanks. Oregon Signal crayfish are generally aggressive towards others, so separation is necessary. One crayfish can be happy in a 10 gallon tank EASILY.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

post-6524-141867784171_thumb.jpg

post-6524-141867784173_thumb.jpg

Larger hole is usually the drain and the smaller hole is usually the water in.

A pool pump may be too much flow, unless you have a whole bunch of tanks that you are talking about.

Another thing to consider is copper. Most inverts are prone to copper toxicity. If the pool pump has copper brushings, then you may be slowly killing the crawdads if you use it. Aquarium pumps usually are made with stainless steel (no copper). Just something to check.

dsoz

I called INTEX customer service and they said my model has no copper. yahoo!

Larger hole is usually the drain and the smaller hole is usually the water in.

A pool pump may be too much flow, unless you have a whole bunch of tanks that you are talking about.

Another thing to consider is copper. Most inverts are prone to copper toxicity. If the pool pump has copper brushings, then you may be slowly killing the crawdads if you use it. Aquarium pumps usually are made with stainless steel (no copper). Just something to check.

dsoz