its sad, geneitcly modified fish...

Holly:

The effect of the sea lions on the salmon is unbelievable. I fish for salmon on the mouth of the Columbia almost every other weekend of july and august...Depending on the fish run. While doing this we gathered that every 4 fish we caught had a bite of it taken out by sea lion. every 10 or so would get lost due to a sea lion taking the fish and snapping the fishing line. One day we even had one following us, stealing all the bait and any fish we tried to catch, nothing we did could scare it away, it would come right up to the boat, our blow horn, throwing things at it, yelling, trying to run it over(which is impossible to do on purpose). Its amazing how many there are. I believe something needs to be done, whether letting the native American's hunt them, or regular people, or herding killer whales up here. Anything. I am not a scientist but thats what i have gathered over the past 4 years fishing on our coast...

And to whoever asked the question about what fish they pay you to catch and kill, its called a squaw fish (sp). They eat salmon babies and a number of other of things and are a big pest.

fwiw

austin

I just read this, thought it was relevent to this thread.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070105/sc_afp/norwayenvironmentfishfarm_070105150440

Very good find!!!!

"It's dramatic. We're talking about a genetic cleansing of wild salmon," , that speaks for itself.

"A total of 39 of 75 fish farms inspected by the directorate did not meet current standards"...that is scary.

Im with Holly, there are good examples of genetic engineering that have been a huge benefit to society. I have a very close friend that genetically engineers wheat and barley. They (OSU) are developing drought resistant strains that will be able to be grown in the desert. from the sounds of things however, its more about breeding than engineering.

Wild salmon taste better' date=' but there are far fewer of them. I'm not sure it [i']serves[/i] them to taste better. It may be the end of them.

)

This simply isnt true if we are talking about ocean going steelhead or salmon. I didnt read all of this thread, so if we are talking about landlocked fish raised in a pen, then nothing im about to say is releveant.

BUT, if we are talking about hatchery fish caught in the ocean or the columbia, keep in mind that these fish still made the same 3-4 year journey on their own, and side by side taste comparison, i guarantee you that nobody could tell the difference in flavor.

As far as the genetics of it, that is the bad thing. The hatchery fish ARE genetically weaker, and them spawing with native fish is not a good thing. Although it happens far less than one might think. On this note keep in mind that native fish spawn within feet of where they were born. The hatchery fish on the other hand only know the smell of the water and are basically lost, simply going upstream until they find a place to spawn, many instances not even in the river system that they were intended for.

I knwo the the water we refer to as the "holy water" on the deschutes, the place wehre all the natives spawn, you will NEVER catch a hatchery fish in these holes with the natives becasue the natives run them out. Im basing this on 25 years and many thousands of steelhead and salmon caught. The hatchery fish simply do not hang out on the native reds.

The hatchery fish DO however spawn, and their offspring askews the numbers to show more wild numbers, which is not the same or as strong of genetics as the true native fish.

• 3 months later...

Glowing Human

thats just gross......i thought it was supposed to be GREEN EGGS and ham? not the other way around?!?!

How come on! Green pigs are cute. And soon how would you like your MATE to glow in the dark...(censored) ..wouldn't that be sexy!(huh)

(backtotopic) Seriously the benefit of GFP in research is tremendous and while some people are trying to make a few bucks on the side, we are developping new tools to image tumors , cancer growth and detection of specific cells. What if we could all be "engineered" to make GFP but it would only get activated as soon as a tumor would start growing, thus the tumor and only the tumor would glow and alert you before any symptoms would send you to the Dr. Would you do it? (daz) The other advantage is that all tumors could be seen and efficacy of treatment could actually be monitored almost day by day.

I don't mind realistic genetics such as grains and veggies... but when we start messing with animals i think we often cross the line (I am a purist when it comes to Gods work in this regard).

as far as the salmon VS sea lions... give me a permit and i'll take my SKS and .270 down to the dam and make them dissappear real quick. if needed i can always get my friends 22-.250 with scope (we used to hit quarters at 100 yds with that thing.) Maybe we can do it as a club activity :D

i followed it... as with anything, especially in genetics, there will be problems. starlink would be one of them. they just need to be more careful.

at least foods are checked (for the most part) before they make it to the table) these stupid glowing fish seem to have no checks to see what harm they may cause.

Yes, and it sounds like starbucks corn didnt properly research the result of what they have created. My whole point was making GM foods (wheat and barley) that can grow in the desert and feed people would be excellent.

as I stated, it would be for human consumption, but the research has to be done to be sure it doesnt have ill effects on the body as the starbucks corn thing did.

i followed it... as with anything, especially in genetics, there will be problems. starlink would be one of them. they just need to be more careful.

at least foods are checked (for the most part) before they make it to the table) these stupid glowing fish seem to have no checks to see what harm they may cause.

Ryan, you are heading in the right direction but I think you are missing a few points. The glow fishes were designed for a research purpose, not for entertaining. The problem is when people eager to look at profit before anything else take these concepts outside of what they were designed for and release them to the public. It is not making the glow fish that is wrong it is the intent to use them for another purpose solely based on a personal gain not intended to benefit society.

As far as not messing with "gods work" it's a little too late for that, and a lot of people would probably be dead or never born if it was not for scientist finding ways to prevent disease, design vaccines and keeping people alive that would have been eliminated by "god's " natural selection otherwise. We are all mutants some of us kept alive artificially through drugs, devices, interventions- Haven't you seen X-men yet?(laugh)

The main problem with all of this is the same one Einstein faced when he realised how nuclear energy could be put to a good or a bad use and whether it was worth the risk. It's the arrogant @@# (censored) who think they know it all and are not afraid of playing recklessly with the delicate equilibrium of nature that make the invention/idea a mistake. It's like shooting the seal hoping it will solve the problem, (how many will you have to shoot before you shift strategy?) Maybe there is a reason the seals are where they are, and that should be the first problem to solve. Address the cause not the symptoms.

(Rim)

Guest Mbeef61

everyones complaining about ornamental fish and salmon....what about the freakin beef industry...this has much more affect on the masses...and sorry guys but the USA isnt any better than anywhere else, if anything it worse by having more money to do such radical things.