A Message From Your VP

USCG CWO

A past PNWMAS president once said, “These forums will be the ruination of our club”. I am starting to believe him and I miss his sagely advice. It seems to me over the last three or four months we as Pacific Northwest Marine Aquarium Society have lost our way. We have gone from coming together to discuss our systems, to offer and get advice, contribute to each other, make available corals that some can’t afford or find, trying to better our hobby, The Tanks For Teachers Program, monthly get together’s, tank tours, and friendship to arguing, name calling, double dealing and dishonesty.

You elected me, the other officers and the Board of Directors to deal with the inner workings and to make this a pleasant place to seek and offer advice, offer up a few corals and equipment for sale or trade, check out some other member’s tanks and a place to make friends.

I ask you now to help us, help you. There are rules for this place. I ask that you abide by them. I ask that you refrain from the behavior that would cast us all in an unfavorable light. We all have opinions and you have every right to express those opinions but I ask that you do it as an adult and with respect. This hobby is frustrating enough without us bickering amongst ourselves.

I am asking you to go back to talking tanks and our hobby. Chief, our system admin, is always posting threads that have to do with the hobby. Get in there and discuss. Help out your fellow reefers that are having problems, welcome our new members, or tell someone they did a good job on their new system.

In the immortal words of Bill and Ted, “Be excellent to one another.”

PS: We almost lost these forums last week but thanks to the quick work of Grassi, Chief, Michael7979, and one other whose name escapes me at the moment we are still here. So if you get a minute thank them.

Shane

Vice President

PNWMAS

• Like 3

Thanks Shane. Although I don't think this is necessarily anything new it has escallated over the past months. I have noticed that it actually seems to be limited to a few particular members that are outspoken and tend to be a bit harsh with what they post. This in turn stems more of the same. I.E. As I've mentioned in the past the key members (Officers of the club, sponsors, and the most active forum members) set the tone of the forum. Therefore those members should be extra diligent about what they post to be sure that it has a positive effect upon the club.

That said I also would like to say that over the past 6 months or so in many ways I've seen the club moving in the right direction. In particular the current BOD seem to be more focused on the mission statement than previously. Keep up the good work.

I am also a noob so I can't account for anything other than what I say on the front page at the moment lol!! What I can say though is that it takes a lot to run a local club and it seems as though, at least the VP, cares about it so to me its at least a good move forward from whatever is holding it back!!

Also I wil say from a different club, you guys have a lot of great programs!! Just skimming through I'm very interested in the TFT's program, and the growout competition looks WAY cool!!! I was very impressed, and I'm hoping to borrow some of that for our club in CO as well!!

As president i dont think i could have stated it better. Shane is an awesome VP and a great guy to know. We will be cracking down more on arguments within posts. We are currently working on guidelines for mods so all are treated fairly. Forum rules will be posted so you will know what is not acceptable behavior. With this we hope to get the club pointing back in the right direction.... our REEF TANKS!!!

I know I have only been here for a day or so but I really like this club. It does have a lot of programs or activities which always make for a good club

the club has taken a step back in my opinion' date=' but my time here is limited after recent events so I imagine all will be good after I leave.[/quote']

I don't mean to start anything but I was looking at the grow out competitions and share the loves to see how these things work and it appears you started all of this, so I have to ask why are you leaving? Seems to me it would be a great loss to this club should you decide to depart from us.

My apologies if you feel I am intruding.

THANK YOU!

When I came to this forum (and area) at the beginning of the year I would say it was one of the nicest thing about moving to the north west. Warm welcomes and very positive, and extremely helpful. The people I have met are what I consider good friends.

I know it is easy it get carried away with things and lose "interest" in whats good for us/the forum. I can tell you that from now forward I will do my best to go to meeting ( one of my favorite things) and bring up and discuss hobby related issues/news/ideas on this forum.

I agree with our VP. We have to look back and learn from our faults and encourage things that make our community unique and more strong, like meetings as Isaac said.

Meetings, corals swap, trades and helping other friends are able to put a face on top of a (nick)name.

This will fill the gap that there is between written words, the meaning they originally have, and what is understood from the reader. Sometimes this is the source of issues.

Yet again the complexity is growing as our community is. Just look back a week and see how many new members introduced themselves.

We have an upcoming meeting at the Clownhouse. Dave's setup and his knowledge are a source of inspiration. I really encourage all the members (you don't need to be a paying member to attend a meeting!) to be there.

• Like 1

Well said Shane and again I apologize for my part in contributing to the drama and negativity. I was feeling the same way which is why I posted this apology to the forum to better explain my thought process:

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?p=207024#post207024

I would also like to say that I feel the board is doing an excellent job and doing its best. I know these are volunteer positions. I know the board members have lives, families and jobs outside of this forum. Living with a board member I also know that there is so much behind the scenes work that nobody knows including late night meetings. Chief does so much to maintain the site and I agree it was amazing how quickly the board was able to help move the site to where it was almost seamless.(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)

Jackaninny was the person you could not remember who helped by the way! Thanks Marcus!

There are so many people who have helped me on the way with the hobby and their expertise outside the hobby and for that I am forever thankful.(clap)

This hobby does require a great deal of trust and honesty. These wonderful living animals in this hobby can be very expensive and very fragile.

Again thanks Shane(clap)

But your apology just looks like another bashing but you used kind words and said sorry, and by continuing to bump it just continues the cycle. Sorry, that is just how I feel when I read it, seems contridicting. Maybe I just don't get it, but you say his name repeadidly which continues to draw the attention. I'm sorry but that apology fell on def ears here after reading it, I can only imagine how he feels if he even read it.

I met him today and can honestly say I left with a feeling that he might be the very most generous person I have met in this hobby yet. I did not pick up any inclinations of dishonesty or greed. In fact it was quite the opposite. The guy gave me at least a couple of hundred dollars worth for under $50.

I don't know enough here to say that I welcome changes, but based off what I read from others I would assume the changes are needed. But I can say I won't be paying for a membership here unless things like this are kept to a minimum. I will quote what another member here has said, sorry I don't recall who, but so far the threads I read here just remind me of a popularity contest. I hope I am mistaken.

Welcome to the club cyberboy. (clap)The apology was to the forum and was explaning my rationale for my thread. I agree let's leave it at that!

I hope to someday see your homemade cube. Hopefully , you will get a camera soon so you can take pictures! It sounds really cool!:D

Let's end this with some positive energy!(rock2)(rock2)(rock2)(rock2)(rock2)

Thank God, I was thinking I might had just earned my first enemy here. I try to ignore negativity at all costs. It works well for us. I did get a camera today and although he really tried to teach me I still feel lost with it. I know I sound lame but I don't even own a computer, I live on my phone but cannot get good pictures with it, but Ca2or recommended some app that I can't recall for that and hooked me up with a photobucket account. Now I just gotta figure it all out.

But your apology just looks like another bashing but you used kind words and said sorry, and by continuing to bump it just continues the cycle. Sorry, that is just how I feel when I read it, seems contridicting. Maybe I just don't get it, but you say his name repeadidly which continues to draw the attention. I'm sorry but that apology fell on def ears here after reading it, I can only imagine how he feels if he even read it.

I met him today and can honestly say I left with a feeling that he might be the very most generous person I have met in this hobby yet. I did not pick up any inclinations of dishonesty or greed. In fact it was quite the opposite. The guy gave me at least a couple of hundred dollars worth for under $50.

I don't know enough here to say that I welcome changes, but based off what I read from others I would assume the changes are needed. But I can say I won't be paying for a membership here unless things like this are kept to a minimum. I will quote what another member here has said, sorry I don't recall who, but so far the threads I read here just remind me of a popularity contest. I hope I am mistaken.

Cyberboy, you are invited to my tank room tomorrow. There are a couple of welcome frags waiting for you! As a member of the board I will try to convince you about how important is the membership. A cup of coffee or a beer, a couple of nice frags, chatting about reefs and you will be a paying member (clap)

There is an initiation process though... you will have to clean the coralline from my glass :D

YAY!!! WOOOHOOO!! YEah!! I love it!! I hope that we can all feel the positive! I have been here less because of all the Craziness!! When I first got here 2 years ago all ya'll never bickered or fought! Especially on the topics that have been risen! Anywho, I hope to see the turn around!! I also have learned so much from everyone here! I love my reef, and I love this hobby!!

Sunshine and Smiles,

Clay

• Like 1

Shane and Jay I am thinking that you need some Bob and Rog time on a road trip. I know my positive attitude and charming personality will make any cloudy day shiny so long as we get big gulps first and stop at all the rest areas. On a serious note, as I tell my students, when someone is not following the rules it is up to all of us to remind them about what is proper.

• Like 1