Are my lights on too long?

ToxicPoison

My corals seem to have decent growth but the colors are kinda blah...

I'm wondering if my lights may be on too long...I can't recall why I did this initially and after writing it down I think it may be extreme.

I have 2x250 MH 14500k bulbs and 4x54w Pure Actinic bulbs. My light also has a dimming function.

The actinic come on at 5:00am at 5% power and increase to 100% power at 7am. From 7am to 730am, it is 100% actinic. At 730am the Halides also kick in and stay on until 630pm. The Actinics stay at 100% from 630pm to 700pm. They then dim to 5% power at 9pm and then turn off.

Should I cut back on my MH? I'm not so worried about the actinic due to the dimming.

So for easier reading:

5:00am : Actinic 5%

7:00am : Actinic 100%

7:00am - 7:30am : Actinic Only

7:30am : MH turn on

7:30am - 6:30pm : MH + Actnic

6:30pm : MH turn off

6:30pm - 7:00pm : Actnic Only

9:00pm - Actinic 5%

My bulbs are also due for replacement so...suggestions on that would be nice as well. I'm thinking of switching 2xActinic+ and 2xPure Actinic...and maybe a lower K rating on my MH?

Lights are complicated...(nutty)

Here's mine

Noon - T5's on

1:30 - Halides on

10:30 - Halides off

Midnight - T5's off

Having it on later gives me a chance to look at my tank when I get home late.

If by lower K rating you mean 10k that probably wont help your color, but its supposed to help growth.

IMO it seems a little long to run MH for 11 hours. that's really nice to have the dimming function on the actinics. I run MH for 7 hours and actinics before and after the MH. I do not run the MH and actinics together cause I think the MH bulbs I use are blue enough. I run 250w 14k phoenix DE bulbs. my lighting schedule is below. i might increase my MH to be on for 8 hours depending how people respond to this thread but i probably won't go over that.

12:30 - 1st set of actinic vho's come on

1:00 - 2nd set of actinic vho's come on

1:30 - 10k vho's come on

2:00 - MH come on and all vho's go off

9:00 - MH go off and all vho's come on

9:30 - 10k vho's go off

10:00 - 2nd set of actinic vho's go off

10:30 - 1st set of actinic vho's go off

either your eyes are getting used to the color' date=' [/quote']

Not likely. I compared some corals to a picture and the colors are definitely a bit lighter.

your bulbs are old

My T-5s are definitely due for a replacement. The MH are only 3 months old or so..

or your phosphates are high.

Nope. Undetectable with my Salifert kit. I tested everything before I posted, since I knew someone would bring it up. Neglected to post it though...All parameters normal.

So I think I'm going to cut my MH down to 8 hours and replace my T-5s.

Any place around here carry 48" T5 Actinic?

Thanks for the response all!

[

So I think I'm going to cut my MH down to 8 hours and replace my T-5s.

Any place around here carry 48" T5 Actinic?

Upscales uasually has a few in stock

T5's cycle thru colors 11am-11:30 pm

400w mh 4-5 hrs

250w mh 8-9 hrs

12:30 - 1st set of actinic vho's come on

1:00 - 2nd set of actinic vho's come on

1:30 - 10k vho's come on

2:00 - MH come on and all vho's go off

9:00 - MH go off and all vho's come on

9:30 - 10k vho's go off

10:00 - 2nd set of actinic vho's go off

10:30 - 1st set of actinic vho's go off

I run mine similar to this except that I stagger when my MHs go on and go off. None of my MHs run for more then 6 hrs. But a MH is on for a total length of about 8-9 hrs.

my lighting schedule

maybe i am not leaving my MH's on long enough 135 g 6ft tank at 6:30 2 80 watt actinic t5's on then at 8:30 2 daylight t5's 4ft watts ? ( can't remember) i think 59 any ways at 10:30 2 MH 400w 20,000 k on at 3:30 MH's off then at 5:30 daylight t5's off and at 7:00 Actinic t5's off TOXICPOISON your MH"s seem like thier on a little long to me but if you are not having any negative results from it ...... does anyone have a comment on my lighting schedule

I feel I have had better than average success with some sps corals and I was using a 6 hr on time for my MH with actinics on an hour before and after. total 8hrs. I tried going more for a few months and all that happened was my electric bill went up. If you think about it, in nature the reef doesn't get full light for more than a few hours a day and the rest of the time its actually kinda dark on the reefs.