How do you clean your hands for the tank?

sharoleb

So when I started this hobby, one of the first things I was told was NO SOAPS before you put your hands in the tank. Basically I don’t use soap but I pretty much SCALD my hands/arms in very hot water for several minutes before I put my hands in the tank.

I would really like to know what everyone else does. Do you have special soap? Regular soap? No Soap? Homemade soap?

I am a big fan of lotion also, and when I’m at work I try not to use any if I know I’m going to be feeding the dendro, moving stuff, trading etc that night when I get home. Would love some input from the ladies on this one also. (Not that men don’t use lotion so please don’t be offended. It’s just that in my experience, well, they don’t.) (whistle)

I just rinse my hands with water when I go to target feed. Then wash my hands afterwards and apply eucerin lotion. I have not had any problems when I have accidentally put my hands in the tank after using soap but make a point of rinsing well.

One time I thought I found a nudibranch after I had lathered my hands up with lotion and without thinking put my hands in the tank. It just set off the protein skimmer.

Personally, I use "reef sleeves"

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/reef_sleeves.htm

It's more so for my sake than the tank's though. My job entails working with lots of tiny and sharp electrical components, which leads to lots of little cuts on my hands and arms. Mix that with saltwater and it burns.. (Yeah, I'm a wuss :( )

It also keeps your shirt sleeves dry if you're wearing long sleeves and gotta get to the bottom of the tank.

Just another option to look into I suppose

If I'm going to be handling stonies' date=' I try to use latex gloves. A box of them is cheap, and it seems to help both the corals and my hands.[/quote']

What brand of gloves? My mother in law was using latex gloves for a while. Then she found out they were made for mechanics and have an added nitrate layer. I made her throw them away. (threaten) I know she would love to find some reef safe ones.

I don't know the specifics. She got them from a mechanic' date=' they were purple w/ a white powdery film on them. She uses them cause she hates the gooey feel of the corals. I'll tell here to look at Walgreens. Thanks.[/quote']

What you want are the powder-free Nitrile gloves. They are usually blue in color. My mother works in a dental office and has developed a latex allergy. They switched to the blue nitrile gloves since a lot more people seem to be developing latex allergies..

The purple nitrile gloves are usually powdered (like you said) to help people grip greasy objects better, which is probably why the mechanic had that kind.

You can usually find nitrile gloves in the painting section of Fred Meyer too...

Good luck!

I just rinse and go for it as well. However, If I had any lotion on my hands or arms I would either wash it off with ANY soap, rinse well and dive in, or do it another time. Watch for BP oil slicks on surface, and be ready with carbon if you get organics in there, but it is really not that big of a problem, especially with larger tanks with overflows and sumps. My 2 cents.

Greg