Help with setup please

PeteRock

I'm helping my buddy set up a 72 gallon reeftank. It's the some tank I have (72 gallon glass bowfront) except mine has a cornered off trickle overflow area and his doesn't.

He wants to run a refugium in his sump and I'm a bit clueless on how to plumb this thing. There are no holes in it and I think we want to avoid drilling it if possible. So we are looking to go over the back with the in and out supply.

Total newb question I know, but does anyone have a diogram they could link or post, so I have some idea of how to set this up?

If it takes two pumps thats fine, I'm just not sure how to get the water back and forth at the same exact rate of exchange so more isn't going up than down etc.

Thanks in advance.

Use an overflow. Don't use 2 pumps. You will not get the same rate, even with using the same pumps.

There are hang on overflows that use an upside down U tube that makes a siphon. You can get one used or buy one new at a fish store. New they are somewhere between $40-80. Check with Patrick at Fanta-Seas or at Rose City.

dsoz

Use an overflow. Don't use 2 pumps. You will not get the same rate, even with using the same pumps.

There are hang on overflows that use an upside down U tube that makes a siphon. You can get one used or buy one new at a fish store. New they are somewhere between $40-80. Check with Patrick at Fanta-Seas or at Rose City.

dsoz

If you pull up pictures of my build thread for the 75 gallon you can see my HOB overflow. Works great.

-It's glass.

Thanks for the tip dsoz. I figured it would have to be some sort of siphon setup, just curious how I'll match the pump volume with an siphon volume.

you don't have to match them, you just have to make sure that the overflow handles more than what the pump is putting out. typically overflows start at around 600gph and go up from there. it depends on the size of the tubes they use and how many siphon tubes you have. some use single others have dual.

The way that it works is that the pump puts water up into the tank. The amount of water that goes into the tank raises the water level, which causes the siphon to start until the water level goes back down to a certain level, then the siphon does not drain any more. If the return pump is constantly running (it should), then there will be constant water going through the overflow. If the pump stops, the water level in the tank will drop a little bit, but it will not siphon all the water out.

You don't need to match the water flow, it does it on its own. :)

dsoz

The way that it works is that the pump puts water up into the tank. The amount of water that goes into the tank raises the water level, which causes the siphon to start until the water level goes back down to a certain level, then the siphon does not drain any more. If the return pump is constantly running (it should), then there will be constant water going through the overflow. If the pump stops, the water level in the tank will drop a little bit, but it will not siphon all the water out.

You don't need to match the water flow, it does it on its own. :)

dsoz

Perfect thanks!

i'll go check out the threads for some visual reinforcement. Thanks everyone! (rock2)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the help folks. Tricky thing is I'm setting this tank up for a buddy in CO, and I'm in Portland. He knows very little and I know just a bit more than him :D.

He has the following overflow piggyback thing for his tank.

Continuous Siphon Overflow, 1” Single Bulkhead, 600 gph. http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3642&pcatid=3642

So the next question is what size sump pump should we get to balance this out? am I right by assuming we'd need soemthing less than 600 gph? Should that be enough for a 75 gallon reeftank? Or does he need two of these?

Thanks!