How do you support local LFS?

Miniwhinny

Doesn't buying used equipment and livestock on here and other places take money out of the LFS pocket also? If you sell frags to the public you are in fact in direct competition with your LFS. So that makes us all for the most part hypocrites and competitors to our LFS and our sponsors.

Something that struck me as funny. I did a group buy a couple of months ago for a pallet of salt. Many club members jumped on it and 2, count them, 2 sponsors did also. What does that say?

Doesn't buying used equipment and livestock on here and other places take money out of the LFS pocket also?

Actually for this one I would say no. I just can't pass up a good deal!(laugh) I would have never gone from one tank to 4 tanks in my basement if I had not found entire set ups so cheaply. My impulse buys actually benefit the LFS because more tanks means more fish and corals I can buy, more salt and other things I need.

If you sell frags to the public you are in fact in direct competition with your LFS. So that makes us all for the most part hypocrites and competitors to our LFS and our sponsors.

Yes you are and I have heard that sponsors start getting upset if someone is selling a lot of stuff or they feel like you are not selling something for a high enough price. I know on other sites , if you sell to much you are told you need to buy a sponsorship. Again I think a sale here and there isn't going to break the bank and part of the buying and selling on the forum is to get to meet other members , see their tanks and learn from their experiences. That is how I have made most of my friendships here.

One of the wonderful things about this hobby over my former hobby of poker is there is actually hope that something I buy and grow I can actually recoup some of my cost.

Something that struck me as funny. I did a group buy a couple of months ago for a pallet of salt. Many club members jumped on it and 2, count them, 2 sponsors did also. What does that say?

That just means that was a hell of a deal on salt.

There is also a socio-economic factor that is seldom talked about. It is very easy to talk about supporting LFS's when you have a generous income and quickly decry people that shop the internet because they must.

It is akin to criticizing Walmart shoppers without acknowledging that some people must shop Walmart to allow their family to, literally, survive.

There used to be a day, not so long ago, when having a reef aquarium was beyond the financial ability of many of us. That is not true now and has made the hobby better and more diverse I believe.

I grew up in a small town where you knew the owners of all the businesses and they knew you and your family. Now it is just another elitist destination for the wealthy (Santa Cruz, Capitola, CA).

I really hate seeing America turning into a giant chainstore where most of the stores in LA are the same as Chicago or Portland, or Eugene but it seems like the handwriting is on the wall.

• Like 1

Re: How do you support local LFS?

Starting to sound like the sponsors getting upset over competition missed something.....life is unfair....competition is a part of business and life as a whole....step up your game and maybe you won't have to worry about competition. Myself....I find it fun....without competition I would have nobody to make look bad....;)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

There is also a socio-economic factor that is seldom talked about. It is very easy to talk about supporting LFS's when you have a generous income and quickly decry people that shop the internet because they must.

Not necessarily true. I have a "generous income" and I shop very wisely. I won't pay for gas at $3.05 when it's $3.02 on the next block. I don't randomly grab a gallon of milk - I buy the one that's the best price and I'm more than happy to shop at Walmart they have some great prices etc. Why should it be any different when buying products for my hobby? In fact I almost find it an insult to my intelligence when someone wants me to pay $120 for the same item someone else sells for $63 ;) Doesn't offend me - I'm just not paying it. I have no problem ordering off line at all. I took money with me to get the items I needed from a LFS - found the price wasn't even close to what another business was selling it for so tomorrow I'm ordering everything I need on line.

If you sell frags to the public you are in fact in direct competition with your LFS. So that makes us all for the most part hypocrites and competitors to our LFS and our sponsors.

Yes you are and I have heard that sponsors start getting upset if someone is selling a lot of stuff or they feel like you are not selling something for a high enough price.

Wow, there's one thing I've discovered from this thread that I had no idea about before...You guys have sponsors that think they own you! A week or so ago I was asking who was a MOD on the site because I wanted details on joining. I'm glad this conversation went the way it did because if supporting the site allows a LFS to "dictate" what I can and can't buy and from who then I'm glad I'm remaining a non member. I understand they donate items to raffles and whatever but seriously...I'd think twice about accepting sponsors if they are going to get upset when you guys do group buys to save yourselves a little cash. Because who owns your income...them or you? It's almost like having the fox guard the hen house.

I usually cringe at CA2OR's posts (sorry dude) because he tend to be a little opinionated but he's got this one nailed and I'm glad he's expressing it...business IS competition that's how this country runs. You can't sit and blame the consumer and make them feel bad if they take their hard earned dollars to a cheeper outlet and the internet isn't the consumers enemy. :eek:

I'm not sure what makes LFS stores different from other businesses in that they think people should pay them a high price when way lower prices are available elsewhere.

Wow, there's one thing I've discovered from this thread that I had no idea about before...You guys have sponsors that think they own you! A week or so ago I was asking who was a MOD on the site because I wanted details on joining. I'm glad this conversation went the way it did because if supporting the site allows a LFS to "dictate" what I can and can't buy and from who then I'm glad I'm remaining a non member. I understand they donate items to raffles and whatever but seriously...I'd think twice about accepting sponsors if they are going to get upset when you guys do group buys to save yourselves a little cash. Because who owns your income...them or you? It's almost like having the fox guard the hen house.

I agree a little but disagree with the non-member part (but each to their own). The LFS that is against the group buys is not typically on here much either so to put them up like the other sponsors I would have to disagree. Again I do shop around but I have found a new shop in town that has taken the majority of my hobby money this past month and I plan on shopping there as much as possible now.

Doesn't buying used equipment and livestock on here and other places take money out of the LFS pocket also? If you sell frags to the public you are in fact in direct competition with your LFS. So that makes us all for the most part hypocrites and competitors to our LFS and our sponsors.

What we should do? Throw the growth in the toilet? Set up 40 tanks to hold all the things we bought and that are growing day after day? (scratch)

Zootechny does imply by itself that goods that are put in the market will grow and multiply. If a business man does not understand this concept he/she is in the wrong business.

I like to trade and sell corals. I think it is a great social and bonding side of the hobby.

I try to sell as much corals as I can. I sell to local fish stores too.

There is a (really smart) LFS that when shows his corals to me he is underlining the potential trade/sell value of each frag.

I then use all the money I made (an more lol) to buy better equipment, nicer corals.

All of this to make my hobby and my researches more pleasant.

I can sit on my couch for 10 years looking at the same toadstool. hammer or frogspawn and be happy. Or I can try to get more, spending most of my free time studying and growing my skills so I can keep more desiderable and rare animals and corals.

I try to buy them locally (meaning our sponsors), because I belong to this wonderful community that gave me a lot in terms of friendship and knowledge and, as an adopted oregonian, I understand the spirit of supporting a community... I've spent tons of money in the LFS.

But when I don't find what I'm looking for I go somewhere else and I don't fee guilty at all.

I have a question....I absolutely, positively don't know exactly what the sponsors pay, give, donate or do...I am not being sarcastic...I don't go to meetings and am out of the loop...I have often wondered why, as a club, we are so beholden to them...I am all for LFS sponsorship, so what exactly do they contribute?

Please, no one get defensive...I literally don't know...

DrMerle

I have a question....I absolutely, positively don't know exactly what the sponsors pay, give, donate or do...I am not being sarcastic...I don't go to meetings and am out of the loop...I have often wondered why, as a club, we are so beholden to them...I am all for LFS sponsorship, so what exactly do they contribute?

Please, no one get defensive...I literally don't know...

DrMerle

That's the funny part Dr.Merle , the sponsorship fee is only 50 dollars.I know the board is discussing increasing the fee but yes for a little over double what you pay for your memberhip, you could be a sponsor.

As I am new I don't know what all is donated at the parties.

Alex, I posed the question to be devils advocate. It doesn't mean that I believe in that theory. It was in answer to another question posed in the thread. I was being more sarcastic than anything.

Trading corals and selling corals is great for the hobby. It spreads the wealth so to speak. If you have a rare coral and sell it to another reefer, there is a better chance for its survival. I think here in PDX we have mroe LFS per capita than anywhere in the world. I feel that the ones who can't change their way of doing things are going to fail. Sad, but true.

Alex, I posed the question to be devils advocate. It doesn't mean that I believe in that theory. It was in answer to another question posed in the thread. I was being more sarcastic than anything.

Trading corals and selling corals is great for the hobby. It spreads the wealth so to speak. If you have a rare coral and sell it to another reefer, there is a better chance for its survival. I think here in PDX we have mroe LFS per capita than anywhere in the world. I feel that the ones who can't change their way of doing things are going to fail. Sad, but true.

I know it Bob :)

That wasn't a reply even if I quoted you. It was my way to underline the topic and my point of view.

I have 1 LFS in my area that is trying to expand into the saltwater hobby. We do lots of business with them considering they also carry the things we need for our large birds. We do alot of shopping in the portland area and here for corals we want. But because we dont want to lose our only local shop we have fragged some of our corals and have given them some for other things we need. We have also talked to them about certain things they need to get in to to draw more people in that is in the saltwater hobby. I do support the only store in my area but sadly I still need to shop other places for the corals I really want in this hobby.

Coralreefer- I hope this helps answer your question somewhat.

When I was VR officer. All LFS paid their sponsor fees and then also donated to the BBQ and/or Xmas Parties. Some even donated more. But they gave quite abit back when I was doing the VR. I can't give you a dollar amount as donations varied.

How do I support my LFS....

Here is one example, I find something I need online... find a range of prices, contact one of my favorite LFS and say Hey, I can get this online for this price plus shipping, can you get it for me? At what cost? Usually the LFS is willing to the item I am looking for at a competitive price. You just gotta have a good relationship with your LFS and ask, simple as that! And for the most part the price is lower than online if you factor in the shipping costs.

Beth

I think here in PDX we have mroe LFS per capita than anywhere in the world.

Just like strip clubs-but you never hear that on the news, just news about how left we are and all the folks in Eugene growing and smoking all that whacky weed(whistle)

Hows that for a segway-

I recently started to support my LFS by gracing them with my presence-(laugh)

But seriously-other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif brick and mortar anything simply cant compete with online, my camera I bought is a perfect example 600.00 locally or 375.00 online-almost 40% more.

I'll pay 10%, maybe 15% for the fact I can have it "now" vs waiting 2-5 days and I buy livestock locally-other than that I work to hard for my money.

It would be interesting see how many LFS buy items for themselves online vs "locally"

Anyway back to our topic-(naughty)

I just could resist when I saw the per capita thing-:p

I do not suffer from insomnia at all

Hmm....I think this just comes down to personal prefference....if you are lucky enough to have a good relationship with a LFS and they are willing to compete then good for you and them, but IME they aren't willing to even try and compete....plus often times I get free shipping....I mean I can't recall the last time I paid for shipping from Marine Depot. Nor can I recall getting ignored by them....or insulted. Matter fact they just replaced the pump on a skimmer I bought from them over 6 months ago....at no charge to me.

But everyone has different experiences which is why I say it comes down to preference, relationship, and experiences.

Just like strip clubs-but you never hear that on the news, just news about how left we are and all the folks in Eugene growing and smoking all that whacky weed(whistle)

Hows that for a segway-

I recently started to support my LFS by gracing them with my presence-(laugh)

But seriously-other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif brick and mortar anything simply cant compete with online, my camera I bought is a perfect example 600.00 locally or 375.00 online-almost 40% more.

I'll pay 10%, maybe 15% for the fact I can have it "now" vs waiting 2-5 days and I buy livestock locally-other than that I work to hard for my money.

It would be interesting see how many LFS buy items for themselves online vs "locally"

Anyway back to our topic-(naughty)

I just could resist when I saw the per capita thing-:p

How much was shipping? Surely it brought it up over the $600....right?

As an ex-retailer....I would bet money that most of the cost of the items that are donated by our sponsor retailers...especially hard goods....was donated to them by their suppliers just for that purpose. It's also a nice write-off to the advertising expenses!

I was in the floor covering business, and if I had an opportunity to showcase a product in a public forum....such as Street of Dreams...Parade of Homes...etc..etc...maunfacturers would either comp the product to me or give it to me at a small fraction of it's original wholesale cost....just for the exposure! Or send my wife and I to Timbukto on their dime for 5 days!

Go ahead suppliers...flame me!

I haven't been following all of this thread but from my experience most stores in general will price match if YOU bring it up. I work in the wireless field and their is a ton and I mean a ton of competition. If a customer comes into my store and mentions they saw a phone at another retailer (including online) I will do my very best to match that price. I would rather make $5 on something then nothing and most of those price matches turn into huge sales when the trust has been established that I'm not out to screw you.

From a stores point of view it sucks to loose any profit and there is substantial cost involved to keep a business open but we are only here if people walk through our doors and buy something. Its extremely frustrating when someone buys something online and then comes into the store for help without ever coming in and asking for a price match. I will still help you because that is the right thing to do but I can guarantee that it will be a very brief version of what my customers receive.

As for this hobby I do shop locally but do compare their prices to online. I generally know what an acceptable markup is and if it is out of norm I will ask what they can do. I want the stores to stay open because they provide jobs and sustain the economy which is something online does very little of and the LFS usually provides years of experience free of charge!

If your tank is crashing or you have an issue, who is going to help you more? An Online retailer across the country or your local guy that probably lives and shops in the same town as you???? Hummm

Also sorry for the long post. Its hard to write all that on my phone. Lol :P

I just told my LFS straight up that their prices were to high and that if they matched the online price, or atleast came close to matching I would rather buy from them. I have yet to have a situation where they couldnt match or get close enough to matching.