Ryans "24G Pod" Thread

R-3

After spending days on end looking at all of the "all-in-one" tanks I decided on the Aquapod 24G w/ HQI. I decided on it because it seems to be one of the better made tanks and I really like the option of the open top w/the HQI. So here is a thread about my new Pod.

Heres a pic of when I first got it home. Its soo cute! :)

DSC06025.jpg

Now heres a pic today. I've got some of the sand ready to go and Im waiting for water that is mixing in the garage.

DSC06029.jpg

Now here is a pic of a mod that I did. I drilled a 1 1/8" hole for a 1/2" bulkhead. Im going to attach a MJ1200 to that and send it out a split "y" locline.

DSC06030.jpg

This is the 4th. HA HA. I really like this Pod though. I dont have to worry about floods (knock on wood) and its small!

While watching the Ucks lose to the Cougs (GO BRONCO) I started to fill the tank with SW. I also added two pieces (app. 15 lbs) of LR. I have two more pieces to go in. One is kinda a shelf piece and the other is a arc. I should have more water made tomorrow to do a big water change on the 90 and then I can take that rock out.

I took out the stock pump and put a MJ1200 in its place. I think this is a must. The stock pump says it puts out 300GPH (yeah right) and uses 40W!! So Im able to run both MJ1200's for the same wattage!

Heres a pic of the tank w/ lights.

DSC06040.jpg

I also decided to run just one loc-line for now. Ill see how it does.

DSC06043.jpg

looks good so far....any thoughts on a skimmer? or are yougoing to go with more frequent water changes? the skimmer problem was what steered me away form an all in one nano towards a regular tank/sump combo.

There are several skimmer options on these. Coralife SS65, Aqua C Remora (and nano), Tunze 9002, Deltec MCE300-MC500-MCE600, and a brand called Sapphire Aquatics. Thats just to name a few. I know the Deltecs are spendy but I thought Id throw them out there. I havent totally decided yet what im gonna do. I thought about trying to DIY a Deltec HOB. Ive seen a couple done and they seem to work pretty good. Later Ryan

only one i have seen work reallywell on this size tank is the tunze 9002. the fission nano skimmer is crap and the tunze would beat the corallife imo. Have you thought about putting a hydorflo output on one of your MJ's? its that rotating kind. works like a wavemaker in a tank so small. i think they are on Drsfostersmith.com for like 10 bux. you are making me rethink my 40 gallon stretch hex and getting one of these instead. only thing i was worried about was keeping parameters in check on such a small tank so religious water changes are a must as well as a good ATO. hmmmmm.....possibilities.....lol

Yeah right Holiday weekend!! Time off? :) No I had a great Christmas. Left the tank alone till last night. I added another piece of LR from my 90 and attempted to aquascape. I also moved some corals in. They are kinda just thrown in there right now till I get the final aquascaping done. Heres some pics.

I still have more to add. 2 frogspawns, couple more zoos, palys, couple SPS frags and a small clam.

FTS-

DSC06064.jpg

Heres a pic of my "Kryptonite Green" (from Randy) Candy Cane - HAHA I just made up a name like everyone else. Makes them sound so much cooler. This is my favorite piece. It glows bright green all the time.

DSC06067.jpg

Heres some Blue Rics- from Bob

DSC06083.jpg

My Red Blasto- I think I got it from Upscales

DSC06081.jpg

Okay everything is in besides my big frogspawn, I just gotta find a spot. Im gonna pull the rest of my snails out tonight that I didnt get last night and stick them in there also. I think i'll have to wait to drain the tank to get the yellow watchman out! Later Ryan

dont know if you have checked out www.nanotuners.com yet ryan. Some awesome custom upgrades fr nanos. I am ditching my 40 gallon and getting the biocube 29g with the 144w PC upgrade from nanotuners and then the tunze nano skimmer or the skimmer from www.sapphireaquatics.com . i figure this with a second powerhead thru wall mod and a nice little mini fuge in the back will be a killer setup and satisfy my reef hunger until i can do my inwall in a year or so.

Yeah. I havent seen many Aquapods with the sapphire aquatics skimmers on them mainly Biocubes. They seem to work pretty good. Yeah Ive checked out nanotuners.com. They got some pretty good stuff for the "built-in-hood" mods. I still think to many Pcs or MH in one of those hoods has to cause some heat issues. Im happy with my open top Pod with HQI. Yeah I wanna do a small HOB Fuge here soon. I gotta find a old Aquaclear or find a deal on a CPR HOB. Later Ryan

aquaclear fuges are great. I want the 144w PC in the Biocube so that i can keep almost anything. I know i probably cant keep clams but what about some of the SPS? anyone kept any of these or even anemone's under PC before? It will have 4 bulbs so i can shoose different spectrums for whatever i need. I really want to stay with the all in one enclosed look with the top if i go the nano route. the mod looks to have better ventilation than stock and according to thier website it actually decreased temps over stock.

Thanks Jay :) Yeah I like your camera. Still havent figured it out yet though. You and Stacey might have to come over for some "beverages" after the January meeting and give me a lesson!

I havent decided yet. After I sell my skimmer and light from the 90 Ill know a little more.