Zoa Issue?

RLaForce

Re: Zoa Issue?

O my bad but if you don't test and dose your tank it will not end well

Over 2 years of excellent growth....I have had one "crash" if you wanna call it that and it was related to my fish....not coral...and UV sterilizer fixed problem and has kept it away since......since UV I have added 2 tangs and have not experienced the relatively common ich issue in the beginning....

Sent from my Droid

Yeah I take water to be tested if there is something going on that I haven't been able to figure out for a week or so....and I agree 100% with the "good salt" comment....I have never dosed but always used high end salts...all my Kent and Seachem salt buddies can tell you all about dosing....I don't know the first thing....

Follow up....regarding the comments about not testing leading to bad endings....I can direct you to 3 stores in So Cal who openly admit no dosing no testing....and they also have a good reputation for quality coral and excellent water conditions....we frequently joke around about all of this on a regular basis.....but don't take my word for it....there is 2 philosophy's in reefing....I use one and the other is the more common "throw money at it" approach....so keep on tossing money in with dosing, reactors, and so on and we can have a zoanthid growth race anytime any day.....we can race for "pinks" if you wish....I like it that way

If and when I experience one of those "crashes" that only those who dose and have reactors seem to experience then I will concied and say you are right....until then I will read about them and wonder why my "not up to par" approaches haven't led me into similar experiences....or why is my water parameters always so sopt on? Stupid high calcium and iodine levels....

You know how many I acclimate? Guess....you know how many I lose? Guess....hint....its gonna be the same number....oddly I am able to keep those pesky "melters" too...When I got my 72g all of my stuff was moved into it within 3 hours of arrival....when I moved to the 60g it was only 2. When I do water changes I spin my water for a total of about half an hour not 24 hours....I dunno....just seems that every different approach has different results.

Now don't get me wrong, I have had issues but none were taxing and all are now easy fixes

Bottom line on my approach is simplified into one word.....consistancy

Sent from my Droid

I apologize if it seems like a rant or I am venting on you Moto...you have a brilliant collection and I DO respect you...I just get frusterated with the whole "throw money at it" theory...i t irritates me when I see or hear people telling Newbs that they need reactors or need to dose when the bottom line, IME, is you simply don't. I was told when I got into this hobby that it is far simpler than most make it and so far that has been completely accurate.

But this is from a zoa collectors stand point....I am positive that for an SPS dominated tank it is different.

But I preach consistancy to anyone who comes here and will listen...."whatever you do just stay consistant with it and all will be fine"

Sent from my Droid

The "no dosing no testing" approach can be followed by experienced aquarists with old and stable systems with frequent water changes that are not holding sps's.

With a tank full of growing sps you need to know where you are at.

I noticed that I was able to let the tank go alone with no supplements, but when a few colonies started to take over the need for balancing and adding the required elements became evident.

Unfortunately, if you want a mature sps tank, as beautiful to be a "tank of the month", you have to deal with your corals needs.

There is no high end salt mix that was created for the needs and consumption of your specific coral's population.

This thread was started about zoas, but I know Rutie has some other corals families in her tank.

If this can help, my magicians colony is in medium light, low flow, with zoas only nearby. Looking and growing well, aways open. Also try to not spot feed them until they are healed.

One other possibility is allelopathy - chemical warfare. It's possible that the magicians are sensitive to a particular toxin that one of your other corals is putting out.

I had some zoos closing up on me when most other corals in the tank looked fine. After running carbon for a while, they opened up again and were happy. I now put fresh carbon in at least once a month and haven't had any trouble with those zoos.

Ok so with all the different opinions going on I will tell everyone where I'm at. I do test before I dose and don't if all levels are good. I don't run any reactors of anything like that. I have a mixed reef with sps and lps and a softy or two. I use Instant Ocean salt and do 10-15% water change every week. I do miss a water change from time to time, but I make up for it on the next water change. I don't have a RO unit so I use a friends, and I run a uv on the tank. I test once a week to make sure everything is up to par. Other than that I did start to use KalK about a month ago. I think that's all everything is pretty standard. Skimmer and sump blah blah. I'm going to slowly start eliminating all suggestions one by one and let everyone know what happens. Any other suggestion are welcome to speak up. This has been a good thread and I I love to hear everyones take on it all.

So no Nudis I take it-???

Still have or had my money on that.

Got a little lost reading the 5 pages, I forgot what the threead was-LMAO

I agree with most of the zoa answers-not all but you got a nice broad range of answers to consider.

I was a little surprised after reading the water params that a nudi had not been found

Good luck