What do you keep your SG at?

KMiller

What do you keep your SG at?  

1. 1.

• Below 1.020
    • above 1.025

1.024 at the surface. I have read the lower in the tank, the higher the SG. I'm ggambling that on the bottom its 1.026 ish. Don't know if it is as important between 1.023 and 1.027 as it is to use a good salt. It seems everyone that is doing well with their tanks starts with good water( ro/di and test the water going in and out,tds) then good salt,there are many, check out the group buys to see who's using what and how many people are using it, then SG. As Ca2or mentioned,it is not tested as often as the other tests..ca,mag,alk,ph etc. IMO hope it helps

my tank tests the same no matter where i pull the water from. To get the higher salinity you need thousands of feet of sea water, there is a current that travels around the globe that is higher salinity then the rest of the ocean, but it's also over a mile down

Like tanktop74 said. We keep ours at between 1.025 and 1.026. Words to the wise who haven't learned the hard way.

I would suggest one of your best investments would be a good refractometer. We bought several hydrometers that were always so way off on the SG:eek:!

Lucky everything was okay but from my experience with slow changes things adjust.

Also if you do find that your SG is way off when you double check your hydrometer, go slow with changing the SG!

1.024/refracto.... (scratch)Thats what the guy at the store said. I check at water changes.

If the salinity is higher at the bottom then it must be really high in the sumpDOH!

My sump is skimmed from the tank surface...is yours bottom drilled? Lol

Like tanktop74 said. We keep ours at between 1.025 and 1.026. Words to the wise who haven't learned the hard way.

I would suggest one of your best investments would be a good refractometer. We bought several hydrometers that were always so way off on the SG:eek:!

Lucky everything was okay but from my experience with slow changes things adjust.

Also if you do find that your SG is way off when you double check your hydrometer, go slow with changing the SG!

EVERYONE should have a refractometer!! But you also need to calibrate them at least weekly in my opinion

I keep mine at 1.025 cause thats what it was at when I bought the tank. I use the Corona method. You know with the hydrometer and the beer and one eye that can't see straight but its better then the other one because that ones closed. Then you ask the nearest person "whats that say?" And then they say "are you sure you should pour that in there?" and you say "I think I forgot to top off today the SG to high" then they say "yea, but thats Corona your pouring in there!" and then you say "I didnt add salt to it"

Depends on your fish load / coral load. Lower SG = more dissolved oxygen' date=' so its better to run fish only tanks at 1.019 ish. Higher SG allows for a higher concentration of calcium, magnesium, etc, which coral prefers.[/quote']

Are these the only pros and cons to be considered......or are there more?(scratch)

I keep mine at 1.024, I know this cuz I just checked ( ya with my refracto) I'm getting ready to do a water change is why I checked. Usually I only check the new water before I do the change. How often do you check your SG? For my tank I think that today was the 3rd time in 8 months. I figure as long as my sump stays at the set level it doesn't change much, if/when I do find a little salt creep it goes back into the tank.

for sure! I killed a few poor creatures making this mistake. Mine was sticky ... the reading was always perfect ... lol.