Metal Halide Bulbs?

NoobtoSalt

So I have finally gotten the brackets (that was way too long to wait for something I was expecting next day) and the new light system setup on the tank (pics to come soon) but the bulbs that are currently in the system are really yellow. I'm thinking it's due to them being 10k 250w?

1. What's the bulb that most of you run on your setup?

2. Where's the best place to buy them?

3. What's a reasonable price?

I need 2 250w dual ended bulbs.

I'm not in a big hurry (ok I am since I'm addicited to this site and my tank) but I'd like to get input so I can buy some in the next few weeks.

I kinda have the same problem as you. I'm running the XM 15k DE and I wouldn't say they are yellow, but they don't have the blue I'm looking for. From the research I've done and the tanks I've seen, I think I like the Phoenix 14k DE the best. You'll have to check around the LFS's and online places to see who has the best prices right now. HTH :D

-Dave

I run 20k 250w DE bulbs. Color looks great. But then again, I'm not running actinics is why I went with 20k. Everything seems to love them in my tank. They are just the cheap ebay bulbs. Think they were $50 shipped for 4 of them. Have been running them for about 6 months I think. I know I could get better results from better bulbs, but these will work for now.

I have tried 4 different kinds of 250w DE bulbs and nothing looks as good as a 14k Phoenix, IMO. I've tried a 14k Icecap, 14k Ushio, 15k name brand but can't remember what and of course the 14k Phoenix. I do not run actinics and the Phoenix color is white with a blueish tint to my eyes.

I believe you can get them for ~$50 a bulb online and if you buy (3) you can get free shipping. I can't remember the site but someone posted it a little while back.

Thats why I'm technically downgrading toa 150w from my 175' date=' so I can run the phoenix bulbs LOL[/quote']

Actually, I think it is considered an upgrade. IIRC, a DE bulb is brighter and considered similar in brightness to the next step up SE bulb.

150 DE is like a 250 SE

250 DE is like a 400 SE

so going from 175 SE to a 150 DE is an upgrade in light output.

I could be wrong because I have just started venturing into the world of MH lights.

dsoz

I think undrtkr_00 means Magnetic vs. Electronic ballasts...The same bulb would look different if using a magnetic ballast vs. an Electronic one.

I run a Electronic Ballast, and have liked it so far...

I have one of each.. Not sure if that's a good thing or not?

I have one of each.. Not sure if that's a good thing or not?

I believe that even if you put the same type of bulb in them, they will give off different colors. You can even switch the bulbs and the same ballast will give the same color. I don't think you will be happy with two different types of ballast.

dsoz

Yeah, I've noticed that on one side of the tank it's a lot brighter than the other. at first I thought it was just the bulb but now I'm begining to think it was the balast all along. I've only had the setup for around a week now. It's a huge improvement from what I had but now it sounds like I should have just bought a brand new setup vs getting the second hand one.

Put up an ad in the "Want to Buy" section. I'm guessing you'll be able to come up with a single MH ballast for not too much cash.

If you do decide to get a new one, my advice would be to get a magnetic (HQI) ballast. They use more electricity than the electronics, but the color and PAR on something like a Phoenix 14k is better with a magnetic. Calvin (kilmca) was mentioning how his bulbs look - white with just a hint of blue - on his magnetic ballasts. I have the same bulbs on electronic ballast and they are less blue, and from what I have researched, the PAR is substantially lower.