Sea Lions

Jules

Just wondering what everyones views are about this killing sea lions to save the salmon population. On the Willamette.

Me personally I think they gave up too early and need to trap and release but make sure they check the traps sooner then later to avoid mishaps, and I don't understand why fisherman are upset that the sea lions are eating salmon, where they fish in numerous numbers themselves?! I love to fish but come on! You crowd 20 fishermen in one spot is that any different than a group of sea lions? (I fish in remote areas, no people, calm and peaceful) Just my .02 (whistle)

Well there is a few things happen here.

The Sea Lions have the fish trapped at the dams where as the guys fishing don't get to get close to the dams.

From what I hear on the trapping and relocating. The Sea lions return back in a week or two, and then the cost of hauling the buts around.

I guess the Sea lions can eat a lot a fish and only have heard they have a habit of eating the bellies out and leaving the rest."not sure this is true"

The fish make the state money and the Sea Lions don't

The fish are dwindling in numbers and the Sea Lions aren't.

It sounds hard to just out right kill the Sea Lions but I am thinking its the cheapest things to do.

If the mountain lions start moving into populated area's and start eating the pets, then i think we do the same to them.

Considering the population of the sea lions I can see that being an option, to hunt, but that would be really hard to control considering the circumstances right now. (the economy) The government would make a lot of money off of it but it would cost us a lot more. That isn't what it should be about, like it was the salmon when they were running strong. I'm not a political person. If they are coming from Cali like they say, there lies the problem I would think.

I know a lot of people that fish and are very irritated with the sea lions. One even had a fish on and while hauling it in, a sea lion took the meaty middle bite just before he got it in. They are the same way with crabbing. They rip traps apart just to get to the bait. We've even had to throw decoy traps out first to get the good bait to the bottom in time. They are taking advantage of the free food and that's only logical. We always try to correct things(salmon population) but never touch these little over populated thieves. I think thinning them back down to a tolerable number via permits(revenue for the state) is a great option for this problem. Either that or capture and sell them to aquariums far away from here:P

Either that or capture and sell them to aquariums far away from here:P

This is a great idea. This needs to be brought to the attention of the powers that be. I am sure that there is a seaworld type theme park out there that needs more sea lions.

dsoz