200 Gallons of Terror

JoeynGina03

About 2 months ago I started the build of a 200 gallon Marineland Deep Dimension. In hindsight I wish I would have documented so much more of it! I did take a few pics and thought I would share them....

I decided to go with Marco Rock dry rock since I could seed it with some live rock that I already had...

020.jpg

019.jpg

very pleased with this rock... very light and porous.

Here is what 175 pounds looks like all spread out

017.jpg

My first fish.....

010.jpg

Some rockscape....

024.jpg

what are the deminsions of the tank' date=' it looks deeper (not height) than most. I'm thinking of going to 30" on my next tank maybe more. 72x30x24h[/quote']

that looks like the 48Lx36Wx27H tank. I had one custom built based on that size too but I kept it to 24H to save a little money. Can't wait to see this thing up and running! Mine is at a roadblock until I can get a full time job again to support the build I have planned...(plotting)

yes - it is up and running... just trying to get more pics up of the process...

About 2 days after getting water in it... took awhile for it to clear up..

001-1.jpg

Here is what it looks like today

063.jpg

067.jpg

Now for some of the livestock..

Midas Blenny

011.jpg

Ocellaris

046.jpg

016.jpg

Blonde Naso

030.jpg

Scopas Tang

033.jpg

Firefish X2

038.jpg

6 line

062.jpg

Also have a powder blue tang and a royal gramma that are being to camera shy right now...

Bubble coral

047.jpg

Sebae Anemone

053.jpg

Rics

061.jpg

014.jpg

Coco Worm

007.jpg

Zoas

057.jpg

018.jpg

054.jpg

Birds Nest

048.jpg

Credit for all the photos and rockscaping go to my wife... she has the 'creative' eye in the family.

Did you cycle your Marcorock at all?

Looks like your having the same issue I did. Algae.

I love the marcorock, have it in both my tanks. But there was defiently some algae issues associated with it. I fought hair algae in my main tank for 8 months or so. But only for a couple months in my 55. Mine is all purpled up now and crawling with life.

Love the tank. Mines a marineland also, been really happy with it.

If your tank is not covered watch out for that midas blenny. Their jumpers.

I'd like to know more about the rock, I'm thinking of getting the dry rock from BRS. I plan to put in tubs for about a month. did the algae start once you got it in the tank under light?. I was thinking of also using light while its cycling

Did you cycle your Marcorock at all?

Looks like your having the same issue I did. Algae.

I love the marcorock, have it in both my tanks. But there was defiently some algae issues associated with it. I fought hair algae in my main tank for 8 months or so. But only for a couple months in my 55. Mine is all purpled up now and crawling with life.

Love the tank. Mines a marineland also, been really happy with it.

If your tank is not covered watch out for that midas blenny. Their jumpers.

That is 175# of rock and 160# of sand. I havent had any problems with hair algae in the display although I did find a spot of it about the size of a dime in the overflow.

Dont claim to be an expert, but the lime green on the rocks is the start of coraline I believe. At least that is how it started in my Nano. The green color just came about this last week after adding some coraline encrusted stuff from my Nano.

I'd like to know more about the rock' date=' I'm thinking of getting the dry rock from BRS. I plan to put in tubs for about a month. did the algae start once you got it in the tank under light?. I was thinking of also using light while its cycling[/quote']

I had it under halide lights ever since I put water in it. Had some brown cyano on the sand in the beginning...had just a little fuzz on the rocks when the tangs went in but they cleaned that off almost overnight... green only started a week ago... maybe just a little longer.

Like I said... I think it is the start of coraline... maybe I am wrong... but hope not

How old is your tank? I ask because it took a month or more before I saw any hair algae show up.

I personally never had green coraline, just purple. Every bit of my rock is covered in it now, only took a couple months of the 80lbs of live rock to seed the 100lbs of marco rock. But I did have a nasty bout with hair algae. reading over at RC I found alot of people did. But litterally over night it cleared up. Now with the second tank I took much more time in scrubbing and cleaning the marcorock before adding and gave it about a month before I added any thing to the tank aside from live rock to seed. I got weird stringy hair algae in the 55 but after a couple months it was gone, its about 4 months old now and its starting to purple up well.

Smann, I dont link you can find any dead rock better than Marcorock. If you catch there specials you can get really great deals. the owner is really nice and responds quickly to emails and questions. I think cycling it for a while is key. The rock is gorgeous, easy to stack, full of little holes for critters. Not to mention no unwanted hitchhikers.

Nice set up, get some snails and run gfo. Corraline in not green, I had some the green on my rocks too but after a nice clean au crew ( 200snails and 130 hermit crabs) it went away. Oh yeah the six line monster, I took my out so I could add 5 other piecefull wrasse.

Beautiful tank. Love that dimension...and it was pre-plumbed! nice.

I have seen greenish coralline on my glass that later turned into purple/pink...but the stuff on your rock looks like regular ol algae. +2 for a large cleanup crew for that tank.

Nice aquascaping btw, lots of places for low/high flow and low/high light.

Great looking tank!! I love those dimensions. What kind of light are you running?

I have also had green coralline algae, that was the first that showed up on my rocks in my nano as well. There absolutely is green coralline algae.

Smann - i've got 50lbs of BRS eco-rock in a bin now. Hopefully in a month or so we can both find out how it does :D

Great looking tank!! I love those dimensions. What kind of light are you running?

I have also had green coralline algae, that was the first that showed up on my rocks in my nano as well. There absolutely is green coralline algae.

Smann - i've got 50lbs of BRS eco-rock in a bin now. Hopefully in a month or so we can both find out how it does :D

Thanks for all the compliments. I could probably use some more CUC. Only have about 40 assorted snails... 40 assorted hermits and 2 big Zebra turbos now... could use a handful of Mexican Turbos I think.

For lighting I am running 2 250W Radiums on Lumitek 250W/400W switchable ballast and have them housed in Lumenmax Elite reflectors. I wasnt sure if the 250W would be enough and that is why I went with the switchable ballasts... If I ever want to upgrade to 400W, then I just get new bulbs and turn the knob :D ... I like that the 250W dont cause too much heat in the tank. I dont run a chiller, just have a clipon fan on the back of the canopy that is set to come on at 78.5... temp never gets over 79.

Also have 2 46.5" VHO actinics and 3 Lunar lights. Everything right now is being controlled by a Aqua Jr controller.

Overall this was a pretty big step up from our Biocube!

Addicting hobby isnt this??? (nutty)

Very cool setup. Keep the pics coming. Looks like you tiled a spot in your living room just for the tank?[/quote

I did put the tile in just for the tank. I think it looks better that way and is easier to clean up minor drips and spills. The main reason I did that though, is if we ever decide to replace to carpet in that room we dont have to break the tank down to do so.

Is the Marcorock you bought the Key Largo stuff or Figi?? I was gonna put a order in with them because of free shipping on the Key Largo.

This is the Key Largo rock. This stuff is really light! Almost doubles in weight after it soaks up water