WTB xenia or star polyps

Jules

I'm heading out of town Saturday for a couple days and when I come back I want to find some easy sps for my tank, preferably xenia because of my tank I need something that it is very hardy. Or some type of star polyp that is easy as well. I believe my tank is ready for it. You can pm me or leave a reply. Thanks.

I'm heading out of town Saturday for a couple days and when I come back I want to find some easy sps for my tank' date=' preferably xenia because of my tank I need something that it is very hardy. Or some type of star polyp that is easy as well. I believe my tank is ready for it. You can pm me or leave a reply. Thanks.[/quote']

Easy GSP maybe???

not sps' date=' sps is the branchy stuff and flat painted rocks....gsp is lps I believe[/quote']

To translate: CA2OR said: "not small polyp stonies, small polyp stony [coral] is the branchy stuff and flat painted rocks... green star polyps is a large polyp stony [coral] I believe"

Xenia is a soft coral, not LPS or SPS...

GL.

puntific

To translate: CA2OR said: "not small polyp stonies' date=' small polyp stony [coral'] is the branchy stuff and flat painted rocks... green star polyps is a large polyp stony [coral] I believe"

Xenia is a soft coral, not LPS or SPS...

GL.

puntific

Ahh I see, thank you for clearing that up. I need to print me up a list of acronyms ;)

not sps' date=' sps is the branchy stuff and flat painted rocks....gsp is lps I believe[/quote']

Green star polyps is NOT Large Polyped Stony (LPS) it is a "softy" or soft coral that does not make a hard skeleton (it is not reef building).

I have some xenia that I will give away as well. I am a little further away from you, but if you can't hook up with anyone else a free coral is worth the drive. :)

dsoz

• Like 1

Green star polyps is NOT Large Polyped Stony (LPS) it is a "softy" or soft coral that does not make a hard skeleton (it is not reef building).

I have some xenia that I will give away as well. I am a little further away from you, but if you can't hook up with anyone else a free coral is worth the drive. :)

dsoz

smann in Wes Linn said he would hook me up with a couple different things to start out with and if i can get them to do good I can trade them or give some to others starting out like me. xenia, gsp, and frogspawn. I really like all three and with the low light lvl in my tank I figure anything that grows like a weed in good light might have a pretty good chance...:D I hope.

I think I am getting a better idea now of the different types now too. (clap)

Kenya trees grow like weeds too Jules. I don't think they are very pretty and they can be a pain if they start spreading. They do act like weeds and I guarantee someone here would hook you up with one for free.

You have any zoas? Many of these can be easy to grow too.

I don't know anything about the Kenya tree at all, sound big for a 12g....? Haven't a clue will have to look them up. The only thing growing as far as corals go are 3 small button polyps. All three on 3 different sides of a rock, one is in a good spot has a fat tube, (it will catch a peice of flake food and eat it) growing slow but growing none the less, another is about and inch tall to hit good light and doing good, the other just came up about 2 weeks ago and is really small. All of them open.

Does all xenia come in one color and one color only?

Does all xenia come in one color and one color only?

There are several different xenia types.

"pulsing" xenia is usually light brown with darker brown tips. It grows about 3-4 inches tall. Cheap to find, when I had this growing all over the back wall of my tank I would give it away to new people.

"red sea" white xenia is more pink/white color and is much shorter, getting about 2-3 inches tall max. It also pulses nice. I like this type better than the pulsing xenia, but it is also a quick grower and you can get it cheap/free.

"blue xenia" is actually not a species of xenia, but a closely related genus called Cespitularia (or something like that). It has a blue tint to the body with brownish tips. It does not pulse and is slower growing. It is usually more expensive. I paid $25 for a piece of it.

There are other types like "bali xenia" that grow big and fat (shown on the website GARF.org). I have never seen this type, but would like to give it a try.

The list goes on and on.

I have several small frags of kenya tree that you are welcome to have as well. They start off small and cute. Then if you don't keep them trimmed back can turn into monsters that are 9-12 inches tall (like the one in my tank). Once they get big, they start dropping frags that will grow up in between your rocks. That is how they spread. If you do get stuff from smann, come over to the other side of the river and see me too, I will hook you up with some starter corals for free. You mentioned frogspawn, I'll give you a couple heads of it too. :)

HTH

dsoz