Saltwater setup for a rookie help!

David503bk

So I am thinking of setting up a saltwater tank for my daughter. I know nothing about equipment needs, maintenance, and well everything. I would like to only setup a 46 gallon bowfront. Nemos are a must along with some nice live decorations or corals? Sorry I do not know the correct terminology. Please help a newby. I would like to get a list of all needed equipment first. Then a list of all needed live thingies to make the clown fishes happy. Then I would to know maintenance schedule for all equipments and water changing routine. Thanks. (scary)

Start reading books. There is so much to learn. "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" is a great book to start with. This forum is also a wealth of info. Try to make it to the meeting today; they will all be more than willing to help out. Welcome and good luck. You are starting on a very addicting adventure.

Bryan

I have been told that it is simple. Then I was told it is a lot of work and don't get started, this coming from a guy with a salt setup too. I am currently running freshwater. I was looking for quick info from the experts. I would have my daughter do all the research but she is only 6 years old. I would like to keep it simple at first but yet focus on making the fish as happy as can be. Heck if I get hooked into it I may just turn my 155 bowfront into salt in the future.

Read everything you can find! Then read some more!

Information is your biggest ally and friend in this hobby. (granted you will hear different advice for the same situation) Sometimes things that work in one tank/situation won't work for another. But don't give up!! There is a small trail and error period as with everything.

But first off read, read, read, and read some more!!

When you feel you are ready then look for more advice and help.

As for the tank just get started with a 'fish only live rock', FOWLR, setup. Worry about corals later after you feel comfortable. BUT, as you set the tank up make sure you get equipment that will work for you in the long run. (IE- lights, skimmer)

AND MOST IMPORTANT-- HAVE FUN!!!

It is very addicting. I started with a 10 gallon tank. That was not big enough so I upgraded it to a 20 gallon. I am now in the process of setting up a 38 gallon. I am sure once I get that tank filled and stocked I will upgrade or start another tank.

I think that the lighting is one of the key issues you need to address. If you are going to want corals, the lighting will be one of the biggest purchaces you need to make. Then you need to decide on MH of T5's.

Bryan

David' date=' I have a copy of The New Aquarium. Very simple and quick reading. If you go to the meeting today, you can borrow it.[/quote']

When and where is the meeting? I am in Beaverton by Nike. The dreaded read and read some more. I have been doing freshwater for about 9 years. I just now finally feel that I am somewhat of an expert now lol. After tons tons of trial n error and countless hours of reading/research. I was hoping for an easy way out into the world of saltwater. Why does my daughter have to be soo adorable when asking for a nemo and dory tank.

When and where is the meeting? I am in Beaverton by Nike. The dreaded read and read some more. I have been doing freshwater for about 9 years. I just now finally feel that I am somewhat of an expert now lol. After tons tons of trial n error and countless hours of reading/research. I was hoping for an easy way out into the world of saltwater. Why does my daughter have to be soo adorable when asking for a nemo and dory tank.

The meeting is at Frank Gruelle's house at 1pm. I will pm you the details.

Talk to the different LSF in your area.If your setting it up for your daughter, you will probably be set for awhile. Look at the different corals. The soft offer movement as the hard, that require more light will look like colored sticks. It is NOT that hard. It will take patience and discipline.

Hey David, as this place is great you may want to look at other forums as well-its a matter of the "masses" and frankly there are other sites that have simply better numbers-some are not as friendly as others.

Reef2Reef is very helpful, and friendly folks-myself, I guess I never ran across any good books-if you have done freshwater, you have a jump on a total nube-

To me "google" and the internet beat the crap out of any book I may beg, borrow or steal.

If you are talking Nemo, you maybe talking about an anemone down the road, and it is more about "requirements" for certain specimens, and how well certain things cohabitate

Reef Central is huge and a great source for answer-I dont frequent it often but its good to have more than one source-you can always post a question on 3 forums and get that answer and opinions faster-good luck-

oh and its not to late to run, and run fast-:D

Very addicting-its your daughters tank this month, and yo will be getting your new reef after that-

You've been warned-(whistle)

I would spend the next couple of weeks (or more) studying the different options and requirements. For starting out the LFS are one of the best sources you will find to gather information about what equipment is required. While each of us could feed you a few bits of pieces about it we really cannot cover enough here to prepare you. There are a number of articles written that an internet search will turn up though that can be helpful. Just be sure to look at several rather than just taking one as being gospel because there are as many ways to go about this hobby as there are people in it. (I.E. Each person needs to find out what works for them)