Frogspawn ripping!!!!

Berger9953

I've have had a fs for over a week and one of the heads have begun to tear!! It's like when I got it the skeleton was coated with a thck nutrient layer and now that is going away!! I have high calcium levels so that shouldn

t be the problem, there in the 500s. How do I lower those? Thanks a bunch!!

You can see from the pic my FS was located about 4-5 inches from the surface of the tank below one of the 250MH, it was in the corner but it still got alot of light-not so sure about the light being a problem.

P1100350.jpg

Water params would be helpful to diagnose your issue-Sounds more water quality than lighting-IMO

Parameters:

Nitrates-about 10-15

nitrites-0

ammonia-0

alkalinity-300ppm

pH-8.1

calcium-500(I know a bit high, not sure how to lower itDOH!)

It's about in the middle of my tank, most of my rocks are lower except a center one which is very high.I only have about 8 rocks, but they are bigish. Hope this helps, the other heads are great, but one faceing towards the back wall looks like an anemone when it splits only it's drooping downward and tearing...(sad)

I never had any problems keeping frogspawn anywhere in my tank under many different lighting conditions. I had over 300 heads of it (before I developed an allergy to the stings). I had them in a 75g tank with a 6x54w TEK light. Some were on the sand bed, some were less than 1" from the top of the tank. All did well. I also kept them in an AP24 with PC lights.

dsoz

Maybe they are' date=' it's hard to tell kinda off of the "quick dips"...But that's what it says. Maybe I should get a new test kit:)[/quote']

:eek: do yourself a favor-QUICKLY-LOL

Throw those test strips in the garbage-They are junk-

I got a bud that used to use those, he told me his nitrates were zero, I tested them against my Salifert kit-they were almost 50.

I had some long ago before I was "informed" on their accuracy-

Your next question or my answer.. I use Salifert and trust Elos.

Others will chime in-I hate API-only for the inaccuracy I have experienced

Oh and nice snag there Andy

I bought a new marine lab(only one they had, but it's a drip test tube type of test) test kit and my nitrates are actually 0!!!!?!?!??!?pH is 8.1 Very interesting, my light has been off for about 2 days now and my fs now has this clear fuzzy fleshy pulp growing around the polyps, and on one head the polyps aren't even there anymore(sad) And now it's covering the other one....(wife)

Do you have a good LFS you can take a water sample to and have them test it for you? Test kits can be tricky... I've been doing it for years and I still come up with "Well, THAT's not right" results sometimes and have to do the test again.

I hope it does for the fs!!

The lfs near me is petco, but they use quick dips and of course, as most people know, that's not a great store. The other lfs is about 30 min away but it's only open during the day during the week, which is hard to get too...So I'll re-test. Should I scrape off the pulp?