Frogspawn ripping!!!!

Berger9953

. I think Dennis (dsoz) may have had some luck treating it, not sure though.

I did not have a good experience with brown jelly. I got lucky because the entire head did not go to goo. For some reason (nothing that I did) only about 80% of the FS head turned to goo. The other 20% recovered and started growing from there. It formed a new mouth and started making a new stalk out of the old head...

The next time that brown jelly hit a different piece, it completely wiped out the head that was infected. :( That one was my prize green/green one that I looked for over 4 months before I found one. I have had many people ask for a frag from it, but it never split before it wasted away.

dsoz

I did not have a good experience with brown jelly. I got lucky because the entire head did not go to goo. For some reason (nothing that I did) only about 80% of the FS head turned to goo. The other 20% recovered and started growing from there. It formed a new mouth and started making a new stalk out of the old head...

The next time that brown jelly hit a different piece, it completely wiped out the head that was infected. :( That one was my prize green/green one that I looked for over 4 months before I found one. I have had many people ask for a frag from it, but it never split before it wasted away.

dsoz

Did it only happen with your frogspawn?? Wierd, maybe they are very suseptable, because my other corals look fine. My fs has this tene tiny little head that I think will frag before it get's too late and see if it grows back. Do you know if torch is suseptable?

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

How's your skimmer doing? Get decent skimmate output? If you're starting to see problems with algae, that's another clue that you have too many nutrients (dissolved organics that eventually break down into nitrates, phosphates, etc) in the water column.

IMO getting that RO/DI going as soon as possible is a good idea, then do a few good sized weekly water changes (maybe 20% a week for a month). You might also consider picking up some Purigen (the little pre-filled bag packets are the most convenient IMO) and putting it where it gets some flow through. The Purigen will help get rid of the dissolved organics before they break down.

I also think it's important to find out what your nitrates really are. I like the Elos nitrate test kit; it's easy and has been reliable for me. It is a bit more expensive than some kits, but worth it.

Another angle: How are you measuring your specific gravity?

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

How's your skimmer doing? Get decent skimmate output? If you're starting to see problems with algae, that's another clue that you have too many nutrients (dissolved organics that eventually break down into nitrates, phosphates, etc) in the water column.

IMO getting that RO/DI going as soon as possible is a good idea, then do a few good sized weekly water changes (maybe 20% a week for a month). You might also consider picking up some Purigen (the little pre-filled bag packets are the most convenient IMO) and putting it where it gets some flow through. The Purigen will help get rid of the dissolved organics before they break down.

I also think it's important to find out what your nitrates really are. I like the Elos nitrate test kit; it's easy and has been reliable for me. It is a bit more expensive than some kits, but worth it.

Another angle: How are you measuring your specific gravity?

I actually think that the skimmer does a good job, I replace the airstones about every 4 weeks. I do heavey wc, about 30-40%. I use a simple hydrometer. My sg is between 1.025-1.026

I bought mine from Air, Water, Ice. They're a club sponsor, and sell a solid product. The eBay units may be cheap, but they're also cheap -- people have success with them, but I think it's good to know that if something goes wrong there's a real company behind the email address. Also, I've heard that a lot of the eBay units come with really junky membranes that don't last long. YMMV.

Someone on a different thread recommended The Pure Water Club, which they purchased theirs from. I was looking at Air water and Ice, but theirs are so expensive. So I called the Pure Water CLub, and they said a the 5 stage portable would be great for a nano, so I bought it. I now it's sudden, but the servicers said it was a great deal with wonderful feedback. And it was only $56:) I hope RO water fixes all of my problems:)