Moving a Pulsing Xenia

bobby1212

I have an awesome pulsing xenia that is starting to spread to much. It started with one stalk and now it is two big ones about to be 5 in a couple of weeks. I don't want to get rid of any (yet) I just want to move some to another part of my tank. My question is how do I get it off of the rock so it won't grow back in that spot and how do I attach it to another rock in a different part of the tank? I am affraid of being able to get it total off the rock so it won"t grow back or do I need to worry about that.

I am usually able to get my finger nail under the base of xenia and peal it off the rock (not ripping, cutting, or tearing it...), then simply glue it where you want it to be. It works well, and does not grow back where it was pealed off of.

I too started with one stalk, now its spread all over the place, and started growing up my back glass...its covering close to 25% of my back glass!!! Im planning on giving it all away when I move everything over to my new tank. No more xenia for me!

I use a pair of tweesers to grab the "foot" part of the base. It usually peels off, kind of like an anemone. The foot is really tough, and if you do it gently you can get all the tissue off without fear of having any grow back.

If you just want to move it, put another small rock right next to it and touching the side. It will sense something there and start to attach and crawl up so it is closer to the light. Xenia will always grow up. It hardly ever grows down.

dsoz

Never have I had any luck at all gluing Xenia-it is as if they are are made up of 95% water and 5% slime-LOL

I use the stretchy string that I use when wrapping bait to my plugs, lures when fishing-It works every time and has worked better than the rubber bands, bridal veil etc.

Hats off to you that are able to glue them.

That stretchy string is what works for me-LOOSLY wrapped

Make sure you put it where it will stay contained-it grows like a weed and can be as difficult to keep under control-(scratch)

I had to laugh out loud to the glueing of zenia. Probligated hundreds of them. Never seen anybody glue them directly and stick. Wedding vail, toothpick, rubber band, 2 rocks and yes stretchy string/thread. Found at most sport/fishing stores. PS Wedding vail makes a great glass cleaner on the inside.

I need to do the same thing with my Zenia. It is crawling to where I do not want it. I read somewhere that you can rub the "foot" with a peice of ice and it will let go on its own. I have not tried this yet. It is my project next weekend. I will let you know if it works.

Bryan