Wierd Carpet anemone behavior!

tanktop74

Have you ever seen behavior like this? OK a little background, Got the anemone 8 days ago. Ate on Day 3 of us having it. Yesterday started "pooping" out all this black stuff that the shrimp went nuts over. THen started to deflate. I come home from work just now and its insides are out its mouth... not that is not the foot on top... that its insides!

IMG_0393.jpg

Paramaters are stable, pH 8.15, alk 4.0 meq/l (about 11.2 dka) 0 nitrites, 2 nitrates, 0 phosphates, temp 78.0 Calcium at 360, salinity at 1.024.

I know the calcium is low and I have been working on getting that up.

Here is a pick from last week day after it was in our tank.

IMG_0373.jpg

BTW, the other anemone (bubble tip) is doing great, although it did move last night, probably from the change in flow from the sea-swirl.

TIA for any thoughts!

Beth

• Like 1

Ya carpets are just so hard to keep alive. I've had mine one year but it takes for ever. Eric at liquid sunshine once told me he never ordered them cause all they do is die. I had one that expelled it's stomach just like that and was still sticky and reacted to touch and two days later it was dead. Huge tank polluters too....

Ok, well this am I got up early to make sure I didn't have to do a water change before work. The anemone is back to its fully extended self, although not fully attached to any rock, but I am sure that will happen when the lights come on. It looks good! (fingers) Hope it stays that way!

My green carpet did not last more than 2 months. It did exactly as you described and then continued in looking great.. deflate, look great then look like it puked its insides out, then look great, all the while continuing to eat.

When I spent time at Reef Sanctuary there were countless threads advising that a nem should not be added until a tank is 6 months to a year old-I am not saying I agree but their is alot of opinions that share that.

People will jump on saying that is not true-I never said it was, I actually engaged in a few telling them that it depends on the person and how they "monitor" their tank and its params.....

There is plenty of "opinions" on why one should wait-I know for certain carpets are one of the harder nems to keep, and actually out of all the nems I have owned thinking back, those are the only ones I have not done well with.

I hope yours pulls through they are very cool looking

I have heard this too about the time frame of having a tank up. If this was a fresh tank, ie not my 55 gal tank transferred to this one, I would have waited. My water perams have been stable for a long time now, no swings.

I agree this is a hard one to keep. My bubble is doing great. Not sure I will buy another one if this one doesn't mak it.