protein skimmers?

reeftherapy

I read a lot of reviews on skimmers before I bought the one I currently have and was going to go with (2) MSX300 but opted to go with the Reeflo Orca 250 cause a out of sump skimmer worked better for me. From the reviews I read you would be really happy with the MSX skimmer.

I was not even talking about noise-(laugh)

Odd thing is Marine Depot's reviews are all 5 stars but a few. I have spoke to many who have used them, carried them (as a LFS) and its the same concensus

I still have the Remora HOB I use on a frag tank-It sucks-(laugh) but I bought it because of all the positive reviews-dumb mistake

if you have the room and the budget I would do this skimmer

http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=113

I own one and it rocks

Since it is going to be just a FWLO tank, this skimmer also looks interesting and is budget friendly

ooohhh and its a cone so it must be

http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=116

both can be bought locally too

I have run 3 or 4 different AquaC skimmers' date=' all have worked very well and if they are plumbed right, they are quiet. You just have to be patient and be prepared to tweek it until it is set just right. after that, they rock.[/quote']

I'm putty in your hands willing to learn! I just bought a Very lightly used but like brand new Remora AquaC pro with a mag3 pump for a 45 gal tank. The O ring for the collection cup broke & I'm waiting for a new one(they are shipping one free of charge!) as far as plumbing, it's just a HOB so there's no real plumbing is there?

if you have the room and the budget I would do this skimmer

http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=113

I own one and it rocks

Since it is going to be just a FWLO tank, this skimmer also looks interesting and is budget friendly

ooohhh and its a cone so it must be

http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=116

both can be bought locally too

Lol Randy! The first one may be a tad overkill on a 90g. I'm a big proponent of bigger skimmers but that's mega overkill.

The 160 cone(2nd link) looks pretty promising and would suit the 90g well. I'll have to have Patrick bring a few in.

I have run 3 or 4 different AquaC skimmers' date=' all have worked very well and if they are plumbed right, they are quiet. You just have to be patient and be prepared to tweek it until it is set just right. after that, they rock.[/quote']

Agreed!

AquaC skimmers are very good when setup properly.

The problem is that they're kinda tricky to get use to and the pinwheel skimmers are pretty much set and forget.

I'm putty in your hands willing to learn! I just bought a Very lightly used but like brand new Remora AquaC pro with a mag3 pump for a 45 gal tank. The O ring for the collection cup broke & I'm waiting for a new one(they are shipping one free of charge!) as far as plumbing' date=' it's just a HOB so there's no real plumbing is there?[/quote']

No plumbing besides hooking up the pump.

Set the cup and adjust in 1/16" steps ever hour until it's pulling dry foam.

The mag 3 works well with the remora pro.

I have a Aqua C EV120 with a Mag 500 pump that is a great tea pot for green tea' date=' but as far as a skimmer is garbage.[/quote']

Try a Mag 7 or a Eheim 1260.

The Mag 5 is kinda weak on the 120.

If the skimmer is pulling tea, you either have it submerged too deep in your sump, or you need to lower the waterline in the reaction chamber.