DIY Wavemaker

CA2OR

The frequency of the wave is a function of the length of the tank. The longer the tank, the lower the frequency of the wave -- that's why resonant frequency wavemakers like the Tunze wavebox don't work well on small tanks... the tank ends up looking like a cocktail in a dance club.

I thought it looked okay but a bit fast on my 48" long tank. They really need a 6' or longer tank to look 'natural' IMO.

Either way, Xtm did a good job reverse engineering the controller. I remember following his thread on RC.

Yeah, I saw that too and drew up plans for building one with the wave maker incorporated into the tank on one end, using black acrylic to hide it from the front. Would need two pumps and that's an extra $400 DOH!

Just needed a closed chamber with the hole for the pump to extend thru, that's where the water enters and exits the "chamber" area.

Then I tossed the drawing (whistle)

• 4 weeks later...

dude, check out towards the end of the video, it actually picks up that hippo and flips him like 3 times in the water, basically LOL

The fish look incredibly upset, and stressed out fish are not happy fish at all, and can also easily become sick fish.

The reef crest action he's going for isnt quite as, ****, whats the word im lookin for, as what he's done, its just too much in a tank that size. It'd be like putting an mp40 in a 20 long or something, you know?

The fish get used to the wavebox after a small amount of time. I have a external on my 220 and all the new additions look a little startled at first, but are swimming like normal in no time. I am doing a dual wavebox on my new 12 foot tank, so i'm hoping to create a more natural slower wave.

nope, tunze all the way, dual 6205s on the overflow end with the dual waveboxes, plus a dart closed loop in an OM 4 way and a 6201 in a stream rock somewhere down towards the end. The return will be towards the long end also pushing water back towards the overflows.

I like the look of the vortechs, but you cant beat the quality of tunze. I know several people with the vortechs who have had issues (this is not to say that they dont have great customer service and take care of any issues) but my money has been spent with tunze and probably will in the future.

I do wish I had the apex though... might have to upgrade in the future from my ACIII.