Neptune Aquacontroller?

siskiou

Still looking at more gadgets to dig myself deeper into the hole! ;)

Anyone here using one, and if yes, what do you think of them?

Can the jr be connected wirelessly to a computer? Do you need to get the one with the serial port for that?

I might look around for a used one (jr) once they come out with their own line of dimmable moonlights.

-Susanne

I had the acjr and sold it for the AC3. I love the controllers, I've never had any issues with them and they make it so much easier to have a stable and sucessfull tank.

If you want to control the device with your PC you will need the ones with the ethernet port, but I think you might also be able to control the ones with the Serial port. Both will require a direct link to your PC though, well with the ethernet one you could use a wireless device, never seen anything wireless for serial ports.

I like the Ac3 a lot more then the acjr, I can have 2 pH probes, or 1 pH and 1 ORB and a lot more devices then the JR. Plus the ethernet is awesome and I have complete control over it from my PC or even the internet (if I ever get that setup).

My AC jr definitly has some bugs. It sometimes completely re-boots after using the manuel over ride for a pump or whatever. Then it loses it's settings. Then there is the time issue. It looses about 10 minutes or so a month. For the money, ya cant beat it though!

Dennis

Their used to be a really good group buy going on the Premium Aquatics forums on RC for the jr and AC3 that where I got both of mine. Also remember that you will need to pH probe, and DC4 or DC8 to control the devices. Personally I would stay away from the X10 wireless ones.

My AC jr definitly has some bugs. It sometimes completely re-boots after using the manuel over ride for a pump or whatever. Then it loses it's settings. Then there is the time issue. It looses about 10 minutes or so a month. For the money, ya cant beat it though!

Dennis

I have the time problem on mine AC jr too. I emailed them. You have to play with the leap second. I currently have mine set at something like 52 seconds and i still lose a few minutes a month. I just haven't played with the timing enough to get it perfect.

The DC4 is a 4 plug-in controllable strip, then there is the DC4-HD which will also handle 4 devices but it will also handle more amps and the Electronic ballasts. Then there is the DC8 which is 8 plugs and it will handle the electronic ballasts. To me the DC8 is the best deal for your money.

You should check out their website for a lot of good info on them and also the Neptune forums on Reef Central.

I havent had any problems with my DC8 either. My problems have been with the controller.

One little beny to the DC8 is, that the 8th outlet is dimmable. So, you can plug you're moon light into outlet number 8 and run the automatic moon phase program on the ACjr. Works pretty good. The guy at neptune said that they had some flickering problems (and I have had a couple) with using outlet 8 for dimming. Thats why they didnt advertise the feature. Ive used it now a year and a half or so and have had flickering moonlight just a couple times.

Dennis

Ya, I'm sure you could use an led moonlight if you wanted. I use a standard 25w blue party bulb. It's an incadecent bulb. Ive used it as a moonlight for the past 5 years. It hasent burned out yet! When it's a "full moon" though, it is a bit bright for my 125gal tank but, the fish havent complained too much.

Dennis

• Like 1

I use a triple beam led light made for PC's. I have an old power supply from an old AT case hooked up. (you could rig up one of those 12 volt generic adapters too). I was just checking their site and they now have a bunch more lights with more than 3 LED's and they're only around $5-$7. They have 20 blue leds' in a short bendable for $9.99 http://www.nwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.showDetail&header=PC%20MODS&subheader=LEDS&productID=4062&flag=Standalone.

They're here in Clackamas off I-205, but will ship. Check out their lights under PC Mods on their site for lights and leds.

I've been thinking of trying one of the cold cathode UV Fluorescence Lamp for moonlight as well.

http://www.nwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.showDetail&header=PC%20MODS&subheader=LIGHTS&productID=4258&flag=Standalone